GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, obviously I'm a newbie around here but I've been visiting for a few months doing some research on the new GM trucks. I really like the style of the new body style!

My question has to do w/ the towing and hauling capacity of the '07 Sierra Denali. Specifically I keep wondering why is it that the Denali has the larger 6.2l Vortech rated @ 403/417 and the 6 spd automatic tranny vs the 6.0l Vortech rated @ 367/375 and 4 spd trans in the Silverado yet the towing the capacity of the Silverado is rated at 10,500 lbs. vs 8800 lbs. for the Denali.

Frankly this just seems backwards to me? Why does the vehicle w/ the higher hp/tq rating have the lower towing ( and payload for that matter ) capacity by a significant 1700 lbs?
I am likely going to use this vehicle as a part time tow vehicle for a car trailer and also a camper at different times so the towing capacity is an area of concern. After doing the research I can't figure this out? Can someone please clear this up for me?

Thanx for any help!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Sounds weird to me to, but then new vehicle I know nothing about.

Just where did you get the tow ratings?

The one thing I can think of is the Denali is smaller wheel base wise, or is it length? That can make the difference right there.

A full size truck vs. a smaller size SUV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds weird to me to, but then new vehicle I know nothing about.

Just where did you get the tow ratings?

The one thing I can think of is the Denali is smaller wheel base wise, or is it length? That can make the difference right there.

A full size truck vs. a smaller size SUV.
Hmm, I thought the wheelbase for the Sierra & the Denali were the same? At any rate I got the info here: http://www.gmc.com/sierra900/1500/index.jsp

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hmm, I thought the wheelbase for the Sierra & the Denali were the same? At any rate I got the info here: http://www.gmc.com/sierra900/1500/index.jsp

hp/tq are not really the major players in tow rating.
The largest factors are going to be brake systems, and suspension. Not to mention structure of the vehicle. Wheel base plays an important role, as well as the vehicles GVRW, additionally drive train (4x4, or 2wd, and gearing) will affect the tow limit.

To start off with your Denali is built more for show, and comfort, and less for work. They more than likely did not put the same size brakes, or same type of suspension in your Denali that you would get in a regular truck.

Any one of the reasons mentioned above could lower the tow limit significantly. For example, even if all the items match a regular truck, (brake size, suspension type...etc) if the diff ratio is 3.73 instead of 4.10, you would still see a lower tow rating, regardless of increased hp/tq.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hp/tq are not really the major players in tow rating.
The largest factors are going to be brake systems, and suspension. Not to mention structure of the vehicle. Wheel base plays an important role, as well as the vehicles GVRW, additionally drive train (4x4, or 2wd, and gearing) will affect the tow limit.

To start off with your Denali is built more for show, and comfort, and less for work. They more than likely did not put the same size brakes, or same type of suspension in your Denali that you would get in a regular truck.

Any one of the reasons mentioned above could lower the tow limit significantly. For example, even if all the items match a regular truck, (brake size, suspension type...etc) if the diff ratio is 3.73 instead of 4.10, you would still see a lower tow rating, regardless of increased hp/tq.
Thanx for the response TrailLeadr! Since you mentioned gear ratio I went and checked that out and it seems the max gear ratio available in the Denali is 3.42 vs 4.10 in the Sierra. This whole thing seems kind of a shame to me since the 6.2l Vortech and the 6 spd is not available in the 1500 Sierra/Silverado. I don't suppose there's any word from GM if that will change?

Oh well, I wasn't really sold on the Denali anyways. I think the interior is kind of overdone and I'm not a fan of leather seats in a truck either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts