GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a question that I haven't been able to find a answer to. Therefore I decided to create this thread. Anyways I have an 08 GMC Sierra Slt all terrain crew cab short bed pick up(nnbs). Four months ago the oe fuel pump gave up and the pick up only had 98k miles. Needless to say I purchased a new pump and did the whole dropping the tank thing to replace it. Here we are four months later and this pump decided that it too is done and no longer wants to work. My question to you all is: has anyone ever done a fuel pump trap door or access whole on this model of pickup?If so could you please point me in the right direction? Looking for advice from anyone that has done this or knows information on going about doing this. Any thoughts

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I got access to my 2000 ext cab fuel tank pump I lifted the bed did the tilt. that is much less work and do the troubleshooting and install then test it ,,, then when it works / passes the fuel pressure testing drop the bed back down ,.. much faster and you will know why the new pump failed.
have to buy a GM ac delco pump ..aftermarket pumps do fail ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah I thought about tilting the bed but I am typically alone and don't have help. This truck is my daily and would like to be able to change out the pump on the side of the road or wherever in no time. Has anyone ever created a access hole or trap door on this type of pickup?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
People have cut an access panel in the bed of the truck but...... the cut out piece no longer fills in the hole as it is short all the way around. I saw one guy on here or another web site say that he went to a junk yard and got a piece of a bed from a junker and made it a little bigger than the hole. Attached it with screws and was done. However it also poses a problem with weather seal if it isn't precise. You probably don't want rain water running down over your fuel tank electronics. One other small issue is you can;t slide heavy objects into the bed without lifting it over the patch. A plastic bed linner tends to get moisture under it as well. Dropping the tank is a tough problem because of the fuel in it.

I tend to agree with tilting the bed and it can be done by one person. Just don't completely remove the bolts on one side so it doesn't slip. It must be braced properly so it doesn't fall on you. IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good info! I get where you guys are coming from. Does anyone have a write up on the procedure for cutting the bed? I would like to be able to carry a spare pump as well as screw drivers and a hammer to be able to swap out pumps anywhere and anytime by myself. I looked at the location of the fuel pump assembly and it looks like it sits right at the front of the bed. It appears that part of it even extends to the gap in between the cab and the bed meaning that I'd probably have to cut the front of the bed as well as the floor. Looking for any advice on how it's done? Thanks again for the info you guys have already given me. It's much appreciated.

·
Registered
154 Posts
it sounds like you don't care much about how it looks when you're done, so in that case drill a hole, get a nibbler and cut out what you need. then use self tappers along with roofing tar or caulking and sheet metal to seal it back up after.

and buy a real GM pump. If you have to change you're pump over and over something else is wrong.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have a tonneau cover so looks aren't the most concerning things to me. I agree with sealing it up to the best of my abilities. I would like to know if I could get away with just cutting an access hole on the floor of the bed or do I have to also cut up the "wall" or front of the bed too? Some dimensions would be nice too but it sounds like not many people have done this sort of thing on these models. I found write-ups dime a dozen on the older models but not much out there on the nnbs.
Any other information or ideas?
Thanks to all that have shared

·
Registered
25 Posts
You know what? i think that most of GMs products really don't embrace the GM ethos. In fact, I think that the only vehicle that really embraces this history is the Land Rover Range Rover Velar

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...yeah I'm going to make this my weekend project. I'll keep you all updated. In the meantime if someone scrolls across this thread and has some insight to the topic please spread the knowledge. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
my 2000 silverado has the OEM factory pump. reason is I keep the gas above 1/3 tank amount.. drive it lower than 1/4 or also run out of gas a couple of times that will kill the pump.I also replace the fuel filter 30K miles .. no fuel problems. your truck has no external filter so you need to replace the in tank filter ..

what pump did you buy that failed ? that will help forum members to avoid defective parts.

since you do not care about cutting up the bed . get a stainless steel plate . .. cut the hole so you can pull the pump assy out .. just lift up the s/steel plate . put a bit of silicone sealant around the plate so no leaks .. then when it fails just pull up the plate.. no screws / rivets ..
some that have GM suv did cut a hole over the tank to pull the pump out .. tanks are very heavy to drop ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always keep my tank above 1/2 tank it is rare that I let it go below that. With this new pump it definitely never went under 1/2 tank. Only way that would have happened is if the gauge was wrong but it never appeared to be. Because I never let it go below 1/2 tank is is very heavy. I am going to follow your advice. As for the pump that I put in it it was one of the fleabay pumps that run around $70. I've purchased fuel pumps from this company before for past vehicles I've owned and hadn't had any issues before. Thinking maybe it was a defective one or something like that. Once I do this access hole it really won't matter to me if it lasts a month or a decade. I'll be able to swap them out in a heartbeat...

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
buying a pump in todays world from ebay is not a good day when your stuck on a hywy and then can be dangerous .. I know your looking for the cheapo part ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While that is true, I had even worse luck with the AC Delco brand and that one not only left me thrown in the middle of nowhere it also left me broke. I guess it's a hit and miss kinda thing.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
some that sell fuel pumps say it is ac delco but not ... amazon sellers do trick us out on who made the parts. I read the reviews on the buyers on amazon on how the parts are manufactured and work. tricky in todays world..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep...I'm in total agreement with that. I had bought the AC Delco from the parts department at the stealership and when it failed the only help they wanted to offer me was to sell me another one haha!

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I looked up your fuel pump issue GM ac delco pump for your truck. many had failures after a couple of months. product said made in CHINA .. the OEM factory pump original was made in Mexico.. they paid $200 for it..not happy .
new GM is not good after 2006 .. old GM 2006 and older still working .

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
JCat I had a delphi fail in my 97 burb after like 13 months or something like that.... made in China! My old one never actually failed it was just the sending unit burnt a wire off. Well I put the old acdelco back in and was back in business. LOL. i still haven't tried to take it back but a mechanic said that it will be under warranty and they should exchange it. Well problem is I will not put a delphi back in my truck. The same mechanic also said that delphi and acdelco were one in the same. Just different boxes. Do you know if this is true? He said he has seen both brands fail prematurely. And unfortunately they still are the best. I dont know man. I'm very weary but I will get an acdelco on order eventually so that I'm ready when it dies. I otherwise have a completely new fuel system. And with my tranny jack I can remove and replace the fuel pump in about 45 mins in my burb no matter how much fuel is in it. We had a cutout in the old 94 burb which was convenient to replace the fuel lines but I truly didnt like it being inside the cab of the burb... previous owner had a sheet of plywood under the entire carpet which I also never knew about until after the fact.... I used rtv silicone and a sheet of galvanized steel to fix the hole after.

What I would personally do if I was wanting a cutout is actually drop the tank or raise the bed and do proper measuring to locate the actual spot. But maybe you could locate the general location with a tape measure and then use a bimetal hole saw as big as you got, I have a 5inch for toilet pipes, then drill one big ass hole as I feel it would be the safest option. Then if you need to nibble it larger you will know exactly where to go.

Good luck.

Al

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
the alcohol in the gas today does effect the OLD fuel pumps electrical contacts and the sender unit. on my 96 Impala I used Maf cleaner to clean up the sender .. contacts on the sender had some corrosion on them .. used OHM meter to verify they read the correct ohms ..
That is why I add 2 OZ of MMO in the gas to reduce the alcohol corrosion.

pump motors made in china do fail .. most have these problems .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts