GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my eye on a 2008 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 engine. I want to make a move on it, but my online research has found a lot of people complaining about the oil consumption issue.
How often do you hear of this being an issue? How many Silverado trade ins have this issue already, and when you take them in do you resell on your lot or send to auction?
I would like the truck but am worried about spending too much time and money on repairs.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
the GM AFM creates the engine failures . the engines use a lot of oil between 80K-120K miles . forum members put a widget into the OBD connector cost 200 bucks and the engines last much longer.
you have to use a GM DEXOS 2 oil spec .. oil changes to the sn plus .. I changed my oil to SN PLUS 3 years ago ..spec..

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
The PCV valve is inside one of the valve covers, GM claims this is the reason the LS engines burn oil.
They relocated the PCV valve in later engines to reduce the consumption. You can purchase these new covers.

Mine goes through a little oil, I just keep an eye on it

·
Registered
25 Posts
MY 2008 Silverado 5.3 has been an oil hog since I purchased it used 9 years ago- a quart every 1000 or less miles. I recently added a can of Restore to the oil- consumption is now 1 qt every 5,000 mile. I did notice the oil pressure dropped significantly after a few thousand miles which I figured was the filter being plugged with whatever is in the Restore. Changed filter and pressure was restored. I plan on continuing with the Restore and will change the filter when I notice pressure drop. One additional note- I use Mobil 1 oil and filters. I am changing to K&N filters as they have the best reviews.

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
Note, K&N and Mobil 1 both make a standard filter and a premium performance filter. The premium filters are both good.

They are both made by Champion Labs, could be the same filter under the paint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In a recent internet posting of a filter comparison the K&N performance filter filtered down to 10 microns- the others all filtered 20 or more microns. Drop in oil pressure and flow rates were very favorable to the K&N performance filter. I'm switching to the K&N next oil change. Just my own idiosyncrasy. lol

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
In a recent internet posting of a filter comparison the K&N performance filter filtered down to 10 microns- the others all filtered 20 or more microns. Drop in oil pressure and flow rates were very favorable to the K&N performance filter. I'm switching to the K&N next oil change. Just my own idiosyncrasy. lol
I used wix XP and pure one purolator oil filters .https://www.wixfilters.com/ .....I cut open the filters and the filtration is much bigger than other filters... my 2000 silverado has the same oil pressure 40-65PSI,,,
I replaced my oil 7500 miles Mobil 1 and the oil drops 1/3 QT............180,000 miles...
I replaced my PCV on my new truck when low mileage on it .. then the PCV now does not breakdown and I test the hoses ..sn plus spec on the correct oil dexos2 ....................

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used wix XP and pure one purolator oil filters .https://www.wixfilters.com/ .....I cut open the filters and the filtration is much bigger than other filters... my 2000 silverado has the same oil pressure 40-65PSI,,,
I replaced my oil 7500 miles Mobil 1 and the oil drops 1/3 QT............180,000 miles...
I replaced my PCV on my new truck when low mileage on it .. then the PCV now does not breakdown and I test the hoses ..sn plus spec on the correct oil dexos2 ....................
Thank you for the info- it's appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts