GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone.. i have a 1990 chevrolet K1500 scottsdale with a 305 5.0L. my truck says to use 5w30 motor oil and i allwasy have. i swiched over to full synthetic last month and my truck has 119,000 on her.. she burns about 1 qt every 3week. i was just on the mobil 1 web site and they have this motor oil called Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy that says it saves fuel miles and all that.... now my question is..it only comes in 0w30..is that safe for my trucks engine?? will it help it to run better..smoother..and protect it?? or is using a different weight going to harm my engine..

thank you

Padraic

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
My last pickup was a F..d and had the 5.4L which called for 5W20 synthetic. I decided it should use 5W30 so I changed and lost almost a full mile per gallon on fuel mileage (I switched back on the next change). The "newer engines are supposedly built to closer tolerances for efficiency and needed the lower visc. On one the age of yours, that might not be the case. By the way, I switched to Royal Purple on my '04 5.3L Silverado and picked up at least 1/2 mpg over Mobil 1. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
the older the vehicle the more likely the synthetic will get by the rings and burn off, unless you have recently rebuilt the motor i guess i wouldnt do it synthetic not cheap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats why is saves fuel.

The reason that oil is only available in a 0W-30, is because that is how it saves fuel. No special oil, just a lighter weight, therefore, less windage and fluid losses. Hence, more efficiency. The quality of oils these days does not necessitate the use of heavier weight, lower quality oils of the past. Increased film strengths allow you to run lighter, more efficient oils with great cold flow properties, and not run the risk of lubricating film breakdowns, and engine wear under load. Any good oil will have seal conditioners and the like, and unless it's a beat it to death tow beast, i'd recomend the switch. -Murph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts