GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on in a while and I've gotten a new truck, I went from a 03 1500hd 2" body and 36s to an 05 z71 sierra with the 5.3 and 4.10 gears!!! (I personally will never, never, never, ever buy another 3/4 ton gas truck) and fully loaded :)
Well I've done about all of the weekend upgrades I can do to my truck to my truck until i get the lift ;)
My pawpaw has a 12 bolt rear end from a 79 k10 custom deluxe, and pretty much it's just the housing that's good and It'll be something for me to learn on since I have no specific time frame for me to finish it.
Why not a 14 bolt? well this12 bolt is free and I just want something to tinker with in my free time.

I'm probably gonna have to move my spring pads and other stuff but I'd just like some input on where to buy the parts, any helpful tips.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I wouldn't bother with the 12 bolt, not for that truck. It's only marginally stronger than the 10 bolt I'm assuming you have under it. Either sell the 12 bolt to give you the startup cash to get a 14 bolt, or save it for a classic truck project. 14 bolts should be able to be obtained from junkyards for less than 200 all day, and they often have 4.10 gears already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I'll probably get a 14 bolt then!
But could I put 30 spline 6 lugs out of the 10 in the 14 bolt or would i have to get adapters??

I'm not much of an axle person so I still wanna tinker on the 12 bolt, I just like it because nobody has them unless they have the 71-80 trucks, and plus It's not like I pull heavy loads or play in the mud or anything like that so my 10 bolt would be fine but it's just something to tinker on. and it's something for me to learn on, no need in buying a perfectly good axle and then ruin it, with the 12 i have nothing to lose!

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
To stay 6 lug, you're going to have to locate a 14 bolt semi-float with the 9.5" ring gear. Slightly more difficult to find, but they were located in the "light duty" 3/4 ton trucks. It'll have the 6 lug pattern to match the front. Or, you could convert the front to 8 lug to match the 14 bolt full-floater with 8 lugs that would be easier to find.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
X2, get a 14 bolt. You can get 6lug axles for it from most axle manufactures.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I go 14 bolt im goin 10.5
But i like the idea of changing the front to 8 lug, would it just be a direct bolt up and would it take a lift kit out of the equation for me?

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I'm not intimately familiar with your bodystyle of truck, but it should be as simple as replacing the spindles, and possibly control arms and springs/torque rods. Hit the junkyard and find a truck of your bodystyle(doesn't have to be the same year, just bodystyle), and compare its suspension to yours. If there's a common mount point, usually from the control arms to frame, pull all the parts from that point out to the tires, and they should bolt up. There's usually commonalities that you can use to your advantage to pull this off.

As for lift kit options, yes, it will likely limit it some, but unless you're looking for insane amounts of lift, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Sorry but you can't change the front to a 3/4 ton without MAJOR work/money. Is cheaper to do a solid axle front swap.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
Thanks for the more accurate information Silveradotrailblazer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts