GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes a 2500 Suburban versus a 1500? Is it just suspension?

Are all 2500 Suburban's powered by the 454?

I'm wondering if it is possible to make a 1500 into a 2500 by swapping parts?

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the 2500's have a solid front axle?

If there was a way to do it, I'd like a little beefier to handle the load, but still ride as nice as it does currently. Perhaps that isn't possible.

I thought about installing airbags to help with heavier loads, but it probably wouldn't be the same.

2500 Suburban's seem to be a bit more rare to find.

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, you only have a solid front axle if you have 4 wheel drive. I was thinking bout going 100% airbag suspension, but I haven't come up with a good enough "limp-home" method if I blow a bag or line.
Yes, I currently have a 4x4.

That would make sense, because originally I had an 88 2WD, and it did seem to have a much nicer ride while driving. I just put some new shocks in so it's not too bad.

I suspect a 2500 the ride is going to be a bit more jarring than even my 1500. I'd like to get rid of the rear end sag while moving a heavy load. I think Airbags is probably what I'll look at doing.

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well at the moment I'm focused on my generation (91 Burb). I'd consider a newer one, but mine is working so well right now.

If the time comes and the engine dies, I would possibly consider swapping in a Vortec motor from a newer burb. Then the decision would be to use the 4l80E or the newer 4l60e. I suspect either selection with the new computer, might net me some better gas mileage. I'm not sure though.

As for the Airbags, I was definately thinking of them as addition in helper mode.

I don't haul heavy loads all the time, but it's nice to have the extra capacity when you need it. :). If I could make my 1500 into a "2000" or something with some mods, I'd probably be more than happy.

· Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think you can, which is too bad.

My '88 2WD burb rode real nice. My '91 4x4 had definately a more "buck-like" ride. I bought some new shocks for it, and it helped a little.

I think the alternative is to buy a 93+ or newer burban that is the next generation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.