GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

For starters nice forum and this looks to be the place to get all my answers.

I have a 2001 1500HD LS with 9 1/2 rear end with 4:10 gears. I bought this dew to in 2001 it was the only way to get a crew cab. Sux for me because the 02's 1/2 ton came in a crew. I didn't really want a HD model or the gears due to never really having to tow. At the most I have towed a trailer with my Mazda protege on it or helped out a friend and towed his F-150.

I want to change out the gears and replace them with either 373 but would perfer 342's. Dealership wants $690.00 for set of 373's.:grrrrrr:

Two questions.
1. What are the best gears to get ie strength and noise.
2. If I put 342's in can I get computer reprogrammed for those gears.

I know I can buy a programmer and adjust computer settings for my 285/75/16 Bridgestone REVO's, and some 373 gears but not sure on the 342's.

And do you think I will be able to tow with the 342's just using the tow/haul mode or would I have to pull it down into 3rd.

Any info and opinions would be great.

·
Registered
244 Posts
a good programer should allow you to choose what all the gear options that the factory made my hypertech allows for all the gear series from the 342 to 373 410's and 456's if your looking for more low end grunt 456's will do that but for better gas mileage and highway traveling i would want the 342's or 373 i went from 342's to 456's but i dont drive the truck on the freeway alot more for hotrodding and messing with older corvettes also here is a link to an ideal gear ratio chart will help alot http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts