GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have a question about a 2007.5 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab short bed that I am picking up this week.

The truck is absolutely gorgeous. But I noticed one thing out of place. On the sticker there was a change in tires in wheels - from the standard (17-Inch Bright Machined-Aluminum WheelsStandard on 2500HD and 3500HD Single Rear-Wheel LTZ models. Available on 2500HD and 3500HD Single Rear-Wheel 2LT models) to the following - 16inch LT245 / 75R16E and accompanying wheels.

There is a credit showing of $200.00 for the wheels and $145.00 for the tires. They look TINY. Now, I know it was swapped on the line as this is on the window sticker in with the factory options. Should this concern me? And, why would they do this swap - were they out of stock on the 17's? I appreciate any info you can give me as I am picking up this truck possibly tomorrow (monday afternoon).

Thanks,
Dave N.

·
Registered
1 Posts
16 inch wheels

This should be a blessing for you my 2006 had 245 75 R-16 tires when it was new I changed them out for 265 75 R-16 10 ply tires these are cheeper to replace and the give you a little more ground clearance if you are going to do any off roading. You can buy a set of 4 mounted & balanced @ wal-mart for around $500.00 providing that you keep your smaller tires. You dont have to have your pick-up's speedo recalibraited either there should be a wheel speed sensor on it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
16" are OK.

My 06 worktruck came with the 245 16's (Firestones I think) after popping 5 of them off road, my employer sprung for a set of 265 16's BFG KO's and they have been great. 30k miles and not one flat. If you decide to go bigger you will have to recalibrate the PCM. My speedo if off by 3mph at 70. The programmer will set you back $300 - $500, or just live with the error.

PS I don't know why the factory would swap tires, but dealerships do it all the time. Somebody want's those wheels on some other truck, and the dealer will do anything to get the deal closed today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Hey, thanks for the help. I am getting all terrains in a 265x16. I PICK UP MY NEW BABY TODAY! This is my first diesel and it's exciting.:great:

Now, just one more question - If I ever decide to put a camper on the truck (right now I have a 28' Arctic Fox 26X trailer that I will tow), then I am guessing that I will need to address the 16" wheels.

The truck had come in last week to the dealership last week after I jumped through hoops to get a 0% loan at the last minute.:rules: It's been hard to get on in this configuration (LOADED).

Take care and I'll post pix as soon as I bring it home on my website.:party:

Dave N.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts