GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recently converted my exhaust to duel exhaust, after the conversion i am noticing a "popping" kind of like popcorn in the carb during accelleration and at times when the pedal is just pressed slightly during cruise speeds. It goes away if i accellerate harder and it sounds fine. Mostly happens when it is cold or after a longer drive it begins to occur again.

It will hesitate slightly when it pops and i can feel it in the pedal , kind of like it is a small backfire through the carb?I usually let off then accelerate through it and it will be fine for a while then if i keep the throttle the same for a while it will happen again, pops four or five times then is fine after i repeat the let off then accelerate routine. Just did the points plugs wires and new cap, set the timing etc.. still happens. little worried it may be a flat spot in the Cam....

Hoping maybe someone can throw me some other leads to track before digging into the motor!

:neutral:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Sounds like a timing issue, but could also be a lean issue. You didn't state what engine you have, but have you checked the valve clearance? Pull the valve covers and see if you have one (or more) of the rockers loose. If so, probably a cam lobe.

What carb are you running? Pull the plugs and read them to see if you are running lean or not.

Sorry I couldn't help more, just throwing a few things out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts