GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1972 C20 with a 350. I noticed that my oil pressure was maxing out as soon as I started driving. The gauge appears because it fluctuates with RPM's and doesn't stick anywhere. My first thought was a dirty filter or just overall bad oil so i changed the oil and the problem didn't get any better. I went to the auto parts store and they recommended that i replace my oil pressure switch. I bought the part and tried to find where to install it. There are no wires coming off the engine block or the area around the oil pan that i don't know what are. I am wondering if there is actually a oil pressure switch on this truck and if so where it is. My next plan of action will be to pull the oil pan, flush the entire system and replace the oil pump, and oil pump screen. Should I go ahead with the full overhaul of the oil system or is there actually an oil pressure switch that I just can't find.

Thank you all for your help

Sorry I don't have an avatar posted yet. as soon as I get a picture of my truck on my computer I will post one

Eric

1972 C20 Truck

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Welcome to the club Eric. Yes there is an op switch. It's on the very back of the engine right near the ignition distributor. It is accessed from the driver side by climbing up in the dog house, or else you'll need a ladder. Be sure & take off the air cleaner so you have room to get to it. Also be sure & clean any junk off the block near the switch before you take the old one out cuz you don't want any crud falling in the oil passage.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are you sure it's an electrical gage? Stephan is right about the location of the sender, and if it's an electrical gage, that will most likely fix your problem. Some of those trucks had a mechanical gage with a tiny copper or steel tube that went from that point under the distributor into the cab to the indicator. I wouldn't do any teardown till I had connected a known good mechanical gage to determine whether there is a problem. Again, if it's electrical, the sending unit will fix your problem 99% of the time.
Good Luck and God Bless

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are right about the mechanical gauge. Every auto parts shop in town shows my truck having an electrical gauge in their systems, but I looked under my dash and it is defiantly a copper tube running to the gauge not a wire. so i think i am going to go find a pressure gauge and see if it a gauge problem or an actual pressure problem.

thank you both for your help.

Eric

1972 C20 Truck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts