GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 83 K20 4x4 that will only crank over when you have the tilt all the way down. The column is not loose as I have had that problem before. Can anybody give me an idea? Thank you ahead of time for the info. Ok I should have mentioned it is a 700r4 auto trans with 350 engine. I checked the NS switch, it is working fine. Moved shifter an that didn't make a difference. I guess I will have to tear into column see if a wire is bad

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Maybe a short in the safety neutral switch, or it could be just out of adjustment. Tilting the column may line it back up enough to start. ( Like I said maybe). Does the truck keep running after it starts if you tilt the column back up ? If so, the S-N switch would be a good place to start. The S-N switch will only let the truck start when it is in park or neutral. It can be by passed but if you choose to do this, be aware that the truck will start in any gear selection. That is if the truck is an automatic trans truck. FYI In the future when you post a question, it helps to include a lot of info, like engine size, trans (auto or man.) Year that you have and 4x4 that you did post, is a big help, and a steep in the rite direction.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If the collar for the column shift (detent) gets loose, the collar could slip into reverse. Will it start if you push the column shifter back towards park? Even if it is in park, try pushing it just a bit farther. If it does, it is probably the neutral switch that kennythewelder mentioned.

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
I'd suspect a broken wire, just the conductor inside the plastic cover.
Lift the wheel into the high position and the wire stretches and goes open, tilt it down and the plastic relaxes and allows the copper to touch.

It could also be the connector at the end of a wire (maybe at the ignition switch) that is loose and moving the colium causes it to move

1 - 4 of 4 Posts