GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a beast that I've been wanting for a long time, an older 4WD Suburban but after looking around it appears that 1987 was the stepchild year as more parts are available for 1988 & up.

------------------------
1987 Suburban 350ci. 4WD (V10)
Here is what it appears to have:
Transmission: 700R4
Front Hubs: Auto-locking
Transfer Case: NP205 (?)
Front axle: (?)
Read axle: (?)

Anything else you wish to fill in would be great as I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congratulations! I love these old trucks. You should have a lot of fun with it.

Let me see if I can help...The transfer case should be a NP208, if I remember correctly, and not the 205. Since it's a half ton truck the front and rear axles will be the GM corporate 10 bolts. Not the best but suitable depending on what your going to do with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: RE: 1987 4WD Suburban - Unknown information

GMCJason said:
Congratulations! I love these old trucks. You should have a lot of fun with it.

Let me see if I can help...The transfer case should be a NP208, if I remember correctly, and not the 205. Since it's a half ton truck the front and rear axles will be the GM corporate 10 bolts. Not the best but suitable depending on what your going to do with it.
Thanks GMCJason, I'm starting the research on the NP208 and durability. It would be nice if there was a quick reference site that had pictures and what to look for in relation to differences between trannies, transfer cases, axles, etc. Finally figured it out with some looking at tranny pans but man, does it need to be so challenging.

I've got a post in the Aftermarket section about upgrade parts. It will primarily be a heavily worked ranch/farm vehicle (towing trailer, feed, etc) with an occasional fun 4x4 run to entertain the kids and visiting family. It doesn't need to be a godzilla machine or superfast but I'd like to slowly upgrade things as money permits to have a nice, durable machine.

Long term:
350 crate motor (290-320HP)
700R4 HD transmission (good towing and mild performance)
Upgraded brakes
You get the idea by now I'm sure

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same model and year. 1987 1500 with a 350 5.7L engine, 700R4 tranny, NP208 transfer case. Had to rebuild the NP208 due to the previous owner not using enough ATF. (This takes AFT not gear lube or engine oil.) Shift fork pads were worn down. Had a 241 chain installed during the rebuild. Should last forever as long as it doesn't leak. Have heard of electrical issues, but I just cleaned up the contacts and ground connections. Good truck and all I have really done is clean up the electrical cables and grounds under the hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts