GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a broken bolt from my exhaust manifold going into my head. It is broken off in the head about a quarter inch. It is the front most (towards the radiator) on the passenger side bolt.

I have tried Cobalt drill bits, titanium drill bits, cryogenic treated titanium
drills bits soaked with 3 n 1 machine oil using a 18v cordless drill and a heavy duty Black and Decker corded drill (older type with lots of power) and nothing will even make a dent in this thing. If I can get a hole in the broken bolt, I have an ez out ready to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions that will make this thing easier to get loose. I am just about refusing to pull the head as I will have to get all new gaskets, pay someone to put it on a drill press and then hope they don't screw it up.

I have tapped out plenty of bolts before but this bolt must be case hardened on top of being cured by the heating and cooling of the motor over the years.

I am not opposed to doing some old rednecking techniques. At this point I will try just about anything that doesn't include pulling the head. ANY ideas???

Thanks again to everyone on here.

JIMBOBHOG

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Have you ever tried a DRILL-OUT Power Extractor? Its a drill bit and ez out all in one. They work great, I sold a bunch when I was a SnapOn distributor. My customers loved em.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts