GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a 3/4 ton burb, no rust drives straight.lots of service records including a rebuilt n/a 6.5 installed 9 years and 46k ago.pretty good interior.starts hard when cold but fires right up when warm.may be the injector pump.recent lift pump,power steering pump, radiator and batteries only a thousand bucks. also has a warn winch. with the new injector pump it would only be about 2200 bucks.paint peelin

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Sounds like the glow blug controller or the glow plugs themselves. Otherwise for $1000 you cant go wrong the 6.5L is a good solid motor not the most powerful but will last a long time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking at a 3/4 ton burb, no rust drives straight.lots of service records including a rebuilt n/a 6.5 installed 9 years and 46k ago.pretty good interior.starts hard when cold but fires right up when warm.may be the injector pump.recent lift pump,power steering pump, radiator and batteries only a thousand bucks. also has a warn winch. with the new injector pump it would only be about 2200 bucks.paint peelin
Buy it! That is a great deal, they all start that way when cold. Lots of mods you can do to help that. Very durable engine good fuel economy. It is not the injection pump wouldn't start at all if it was. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Actually it would have the problems when warm, more than anything before they completely go out. Ive done my fair share of them...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It also has a remounted fuel water separator on the fire wall.The last 2 owners have dumped a ton of money into it.The receipt for the motor change was 5200 bucks back in 02.Tough call for me,I have a 99 K2500 to sell before putting the 88 on the road.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
1998 or 1988 ??
Not that it matters- $1000-what do you have to lose?
If the body was rusty-then pass on it except if you planned to part it out-
But $1000 good body-easy choice!!
We have a member who will put an updated more powerful like new"marine block" 6.5 in for under $6000-so even if you eventually need a new motor-which you shouldn't??
Not sure what the "marine block" means other than it is used in boats and apparently is stronger/better/updated to take care of any problems that have turned up since the 6.5 was designed.
Buy it.
Charlie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,I decided to buy it anyway.Its older but in decent shape.I can build it up over time and have something for my boys to learn to drive on.Things dont rust here and parts seem to be unlimited.May sell the 99 Burb since I only use it to tow the camper.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
$1000 -good body- you don't have time pressure to get it running great- why not!!??
You can take your time- get good parts for reasonable prices since you don't have to buy the 1st part that come along.
You might eventually put $2000 in it in parts- but so what??
You can probably get it completely roadworthy for whatever it takes to fix the hard cold starting- maybe $200-$500 depending on what it is.
Replace repair other things- water pump, brakes,any dents, carpet whatever.
I don't picture it costing more than $2000 or so in parts to get it looking very good and running fine.
Charlie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually it has a new water pump too.Several years of service records to go along with it.It registered and driveable as it sits.I took it out yesterday.It drives and stops straight.Just a weird clunk when you go into turns.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
$1000 and it drives/runs ok/good body- GREAT DEAL!
Clunk when turning-shouldn't be too expensive to fix whatever it is.
Charlie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I had to give 1100 for it but I pick it up tomorrow.Hopefully there are no major issues with it and the starting problem is the glow plug controller and not the IP.That would leave me money for some new rubber.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,I got it.It does take about three or four tries before it starts and it does not go int fourth gear.I hope thats just an adjustment and not anything more serious.I think its a rebuilt 6.2 not 6.5 but I cannot really tell.The receipt for the work says 6.5 but that may have been an error.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone wanna help me out..i got a 93 gmc 2500 with a blown 6.5 diesel in it (after 268k miles). now i got another 6.5 engine to put in it but just learned that its computerized and my truck is not computerized. is there anything i can do or no?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$1000 and it drives/runs ok/good body- GREAT DEAL!
Clunk when turning-shouldn't be too expensive to fix whatever it is.
Charlie
Clunk turned out to be worn or no bushings on springs.Tranny is good,was shifting hard but it turned out to be a modulator adjustment.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
clunk turned out to be worn or no bushings on springs.tranny is good,was shifting hard but it turned out to be a modulator adjustment.
if you want to sell it again for a few bucks more......i am happy to take it of your hands !!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Anyone wanna help me out..i got a 93 gmc 2500 with a blown 6.5 diesel in it (after 268k miles). now i got another 6.5 engine to put in it but just learned that its computerized and my truck is not computerized. is there anything i can do or no?
change the injection pump ..and it will not need any computer ! Your old mechanical one should fit !

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
if you want to sell it again for a few bucks more......i am happy to take it of your hands !!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

change the injection pump ..and it will not need any computer ! Your old mechanical one should fit !
X3 from me as well. The motor itself is the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts