GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought this 1989 k 1500 manual 3 days ago nice truck pretty well taken care of just needed an alternator however the speedometer the tachometer and odometer do not work at all. I have read on it could be the vss idk if the year has drak or not but I can’t afford to buy parts left and right . As I’ve put so much in it already but this bugs me everything else works flawlessly on cluster. Except a short on the dial to turn the lights on the dash you have to play with it for the sweet spot but then the ac light shuts off when they do

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have read on it could be the vss idk if the year has drak or not but I can’t afford to buy parts left and right
Sounds like you have 2 different issues. The 88 - 91 GMT400s have the VSS signal converter on the back of the cluster. They don't use a VSSB or DRAC. Here's a link showing it and how to calibrate for different gears/tire sizes. You can use jumpers or solder in dip switches.

I've seen where some reman trans don't come with the VSS reluctor gear, or they have the plastic cable drive gear, check that 1st.

Your Tach should be fed from the coil by a white wire on top.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have almost the same problem, i have a 90 k1500 4.3 and i have the moonie gauges, i got a cluster from a 91 with the needle and RPM gauge same plug harness as mine, connected it up to it but none of the gauges will work the lights in the cluster do so i don't understand what could be wrong with it not to work any idea's as to the problem

·
Registered
835 Posts
connected it up to it but none of the gauges will work the lights in the cluster do so i don't understand what could be wrong with it not to work any idea's as to the problem
FWIU you need to swap 3 wires in the connector but, I don't know which ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts