GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Getting ready to finally paint my burb. Probably within the next two weeks. Before I do, I want to rip out a bunch of the old "accessory" wires and I want to resolve a problem I am having. My buddy suggested a new turn signal switch...but I don't want to spend any money via the process of elimination...I defer to the gurus here, thank you.

When I have my headlights off, my turn signal indicator in my dash works properly. When I turn the headlights on, my right turn signal indicator in my dash just lights up and stays lit. It fails to blink. Also, when the headlights are off, and I step on the brake pedal, my parking lights come on in the front, and my dash lights (gas gauge, speedo, etc) light up as well.

I have since replaced the column switch (wipers, wash, high beams, turn signals...) with a new one. Just thought I'd ask hoping someone will lead me in the right direction. Man I hate dealing with anything electronic:grrrrrr: Thanks guys.

Joe

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi joe keep it low , this has nothing to do with electronics ,, it´s yust plain electric ,, .. first of all ... does you got a hook for towing ? its not unusuall that the electric connection plug is corroded and gives "strange" scenarios like this ,,, i live in sweden and we got our own system here in europe so i cant give you any specific instructions about the US/canadian connection plugs but the fault can occour the same way in both styles of connections so if you got an lectric tow plug start to enshure theres no connections between the lines/cables inside the connection ,, easyest way to do it is to find out a place where all cables are free from each other and cut them of ,, reinstall is easy after a cut like this ,, you yust have to follow the coulors of the cuten cables and when you reinstall please use a solder and crimp tube otherwise you will get corrosion quickly in your cables

åke

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply 2loud. Oh, sorry, I meant "electrical" not "electronics" although electronics are even more cumbersome to me, lol. Yes, it does have the Old tow plug in tact and it does look very weathered and corroded so I will try your suggestion. I will check back in with the results. Thanks again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Triple check all your bulbs.... Could be as simple as you have the wrong bulb somewhere.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe, I will discard that old hitch plug first, and if that does not do the trick I will check all the bulbs. I have not had time lately to get out back and check...hopefully this week.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree, check the trailer harnes, and all the bulbs and sockets first. Easiest way to start ouy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still have not had the time to go check the harness or bulbs. I am getting ready to leave town and when I return I hope to do it then, and I also hope to have it in the body shop within the week! I will get back to this post and also I hope to get some pictures of the paint job. :happy:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi joe keep it low , this has nothing to do with electronics ,, it´s yust plain electric ,, .. first of all ... does you got a hook for towing ? its not unusuall that the electric connection plug is corroded and gives "strange" scenarios like this ,,, i live in sweden and we got our own system here in europe so i cant give you any specific instructions about the US/canadian connection plugs but the fault can occour the same way in both styles of connections so if you got an lectric tow plug start to enshure theres no connections between the lines/cables inside the connection ,, easyest way to do it is to find out a place where all cables are free from each other and cut them of ,, reinstall is easy after a cut like this ,, you yust have to follow the coulors of the cuten cables and when you reinstall please use a solder and crimp tube otherwise you will get corrosion quickly in your cables

åke
2Loud, You were correct. When I cut off the old crusty plug...the problem was resolved!!!! Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts