GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do not understand what is happening starts every time, runs ok , goes thru oil bad and smokes horrifically??? any consideration would greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
I suspect a stuck, or broken ring, or valve seal.

Pull the plugs and examine them as you remove each plug.
One, or more will be wet with oil.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
And, while you have the plugs out, check compression.

Ray, do you think it’s possible that valve stem seals would fix this if it’s not a ring problem?

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
Greg, it sounds like an all of a sudden thing, making me think a broken oil ring.

Perhaps the OP could give us more info about the days leading up to the high burning of oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 85 Lotus esprit that hadoriginal cast pistons, and when one of them burned through due to a detonation problem, did the same thing. Like itwas literally putting out a smoke screen. Cylinder 4 piston had a dime sized hole in top. Replaced with forged pistons .

You could possibly have a burned through piston. First do a compression test, after checking to see if any plugs look wet. Unfortunately, engine rebuild, any way you look at it. :(

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
engine rebuild, any way you look at it. :(
Rock, your probably right; but I have freed seized oil rings in the past. That is why I asked for the plugs to be checked so we know which cylinder it is.

Now, to be fair, it has been on an engine that sat for awhile and the ring lands got rusty.

This truck isn't used a lot (only 58 thousand miles), so there may be a size ring.

We won't know until the OP reports back

·
Registered
28 Posts
For seized ring, if you find the cylinder, via spark plug check, have you tried putting a penetrant down spark plug hole, letting sit a day, then hand cranking back and forth as fast as possible(only about 1/8 inch travel is sufficient, after you get piston somewhere near middle of travel stroke. Then start engine up and run for a while, will tale a little bit for oil rings to scrape off blowby products from leak and burn clean. Repeat penetrant sequence again if still not working.

Has worked a couple of times, from friends, anectdotally......for what it's worth......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rock, your probably right; but I have freed seized oil rings in the past. That is why I asked for the plugs to be checked so we know which cylinder it is.

Now, to be fair, it has been on an engine that sat for awhile and the ring lands got rusty.

This truck isn't used a lot (only 58 thousand miles), so there may be a size ring.

We won't know until the OP reports back
It did set a long in a garage that is probably why..

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
That is the usual reason, let's just hope there is no damage. @dwman , check the plugs, if you find one wet with oil we have our bad cylinder.
When you find it, you'll need to check the compression (a compression gauge is cheap and a need to have tool, I still use the one I bought 60 years ago).
Don't worry about the amount of compression, we just need to know if you have some.
If you have compression the ring is the problem.
If you don't have compression, you need to squart engine oil into the plug hole and do a 2nd compression check.
If you still can't get any compression, you have a hole in position, a lot of broken rings, or a broken valve seal.
At this point, you need an air compressor.
Remove the valve cover.
Apply air into the plug hole
If you hear it at a valve stem, you need a head repair
If you hear it at the dipstick, or at an oil drain hole, you have a bad piston.

Or, if you have compression then you have a stuck ring, or a broken ring. If your at this point, follow @rockhounder 's instruction two posts back.
This can be a slow process, the oil ring(s) are usually the bottom rings and it can take awhile for the oil to get where it needs to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts