GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm new here and wanted to share my truck with everyone as I continue to work on it and hopefully get some advice along the way.

The truck is a 1990 Chevy Suburban K1500 that's had the original 350 swapped for a 454, the front grill swapped for the 83 version, and what looks to me like a 6in lift all the way around.

Here's the engine: Has an upgraded radiator with 2 electric fans, Fuel injected and HEI.

The truck was picked up in New Mexico and driven back to Summit County Colorado (about 600 miles) with next to zero problems besides gas mileage and a really loose steering column. I knew that I would need to do a tune up asap because the engine was sounding a little rough. So I changed the oil, spark plugs and put a new air cleaner on it because the one it came with looked like someone had bent the base to make a better fit around the throttle body. Anyways, long story short, I find out the oil dipstick literally comes off the block when you try to pull it out so there goes checking my oil level accurately. Just for the record, I used 7qts of 10w-30 full synthetic(including a qt of seafoam oil treatment, so actually it was 6qts + the seafoam). Should also note that the oil that came out was black as night.

I didn't have enough to buy new plugs and wires so I just got the plugs and plan to do the wires soon. Here's what the plugs look like in order (right driver, left pass, bottom front, top rear)when pulled out.

Pretty dirty but I'm assuming thats just from age. Should also mention that those plugs where on there super tight and with the exception of the bottom 2 plugs, all of the wires I pulled off left a silver clamp looking thing on the end of the plug that came from inside the boot. Each time that happened I had to take that clamp off and try my best to stuff it back in the boot. Luckily the truck still runs even with this makeshift fix for the wires, but the engine is still running rough and I'm almost out of ideas on what the problem could be.

I'll be replacing the wires in a week or so and can update after that. If that doesn't work, my next guess would be to clean the Mass Airflow Sensor. I've also used a couple cans of seafoam in the engine to try and help but nothing so far. Regardless though, she still gets me to work and back! Here's some other random pictures in case anyone want's to see what I'm working with. Thanks for looking! And if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would love to hear from you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 89 suberban and have had a few issues with tuning in I replaced everything from the distributor to plugs and that seemed to fix it but I did have issues with the injectors in the throttle body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! So you changed the plugs, wires and distributor? What did you do for the injectors?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts