GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 K1500 350 TBI recently had a NO START condition with NO spark and NO fuel spray at TBI.
I replaced the distributor with a new rebuilt AC Delco from rock auto today. Started up fine, ran a few minutes and died. Restarted a couple times and now nothing. Will not start. Hooked timing light up to #1 wire see if there is spark and yes there is. Seems a little weak, but it's only cranking. There is NO fuel spray, but I do hear fuel pump run in the tank. Before I troubleshoot, I was looking for anyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,216 Posts
Low voltage wiring all connected properly, correct? As in the ICM connections at the distributor, plus the coil connection. Just as a PM step, double check the grounds integrity at the thermostat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Low voltage wiring all connected properly, correct? As in the ICM connections at the distributor, plus the coil connection. Just as a PM step, double check the grounds integrity at the thermostat.
I just tried again after letting it sit a couple hours while I did something else and it started after a couple tries, but only ran at idle for 30 seconds and died again and will not start.
I believe all wiring is correct. Unless there is an issue with a plug being worn or something. Thermostat ground looks good. Any chance a bad Coolant sensor can make it die like this?

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,216 Posts
CTS shouldn’t kill it like this.

Reactions: Joe Winsor

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 1990 K1500 350 TBI recently had a NO START condition with NO spark and NO fuel spray at TBI.
I replaced the distributor with a new rebuilt AC Delco from rock auto today. Started up fine, ran a few minutes and died. Restarted a couple times and now nothing. Will not start. Hooked timing light up to #1 wire see if there is spark and yes there is. Seems a little weak, but it's only cranking. There is NO fuel spray, but I do hear fuel pump run in the tank. Before I troubleshoot, I was looking for anyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Joe, after replacing the engine in my 93 k1500, I had a similar problem. I followed the injector wires through the firewall and found no wiring issues in that direction. I then followed the one wire that does not go back to the injectors, but down along the transmission on the driver side. I found cracked insulation and the wire grounding on one of the metal harness retainers. I wrapped the wire and there was no longer a no start problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me a little more of this wire? Do you know what it was for? Where did it start and end?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Joe,
The wire was not identified on the vehicle schematic. It started from the PCM, went across the bell housing, passenger side to driver side, and then back along the transmission. The wire that shorted was colored pnk/blk. See my photo attached.

1606795496636.png
1606795496501.png

Sent with kind regards-
Jack

·
Registered
785 Posts
A bad ignition coil has been known to take out the ICM. You can have the coil tested and it'll tell you if it's bad but, it won't tell you if it's good. If the ICM is bad, it won't tell the ECM the engine is turning so, the ECM won't tell the injectors to fire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As it turns our the pigtail connectors at the back of the distributor were bad and needed to be replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts