GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a silverado yesterday, i started it up this morning and it took a few seconds to start then it did, and a poof of white smoke came out the exhaust then ran perfectly. I tried starting it again and it started instantly. I left it in the driveway about 4hrs and started it again, and it puffed the smoke again. Any thoughts?

1990 Silverado Extended cab, 5.7l 350, 2wd, 185k miles

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I just bought a silverado yesterday, i started it up this morning and it took a few seconds to start then it did, and a poof of white smoke came out the exhaust then ran perfectly. I tried starting it again and it started instantly. I left it in the driveway about 4hrs and started it again, and it puffed the smoke again. Any thoughts?

1990 Silverado Extended cab, 5.7l 350, 2wd, 185k miles
Where did you buy it? Can you take it back and have them fix it.....my experience is that its coolant leaking by due to a cracked head or bad head gasket.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
X2 on the coolant being the cause of white smoke. It doesn't sound like it's a big leak since it goes away quickly, so you could get lucky & it could be a small intake gasket leak between one of the water ports & the ajacent intake port. How much have you driven it & have you had to add coolant? If so, how much?
Before you start it next time, disconnect the coil & crank the engine over a couple revolutions. This may distribute the coolant in the cylinder(s) Then pull the spark plugs & look for water on one of them to verify. You could also do a radiator pressure test to try & determine where it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bought it off craigslist as is so no returning haha, i plan on doing a compression test tommorrow and see if it's the rings. I add very little coolant once so far this week (only in overflow) the radiator is full still. Good idea to pull the coil and crank it over to see if i can see water in the plugs. I may be able to kill two birds by doing this during the compression test. Good ideas guys, thanks. I drove every day to work around 50 miles round trip. Whatever water is getting in, it's a very small amount. Hope its just the intake gasket

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought some restore day before yesterday, i also installed a new starter and no more damn smoke! woo! LETS HOPE ITS LASTING lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts