GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1991 suburban a couple years ago to use as my tow vehicle. It's a great truck and I plan on keeping it forever , so I decided to repair the only rust it has at the rear wheel wells . After cutting off the outer panel I can now see that I need the inner panel but have had no luck in finding any.
All the after market companies that I have talked to say they don't make em. I am thinking of trying the chevy dealer .
Can anyone give me some info on locating these parts? or are they even available ?
It would be a big job to make these from scratch without having a english wheel or planishing hammer. thnks, tony

·
Super Moderator
3,379 Posts
If you've tried the big names like LMC and ClassicTruckParts, you're out of luck. The dealers won't be able to get a hold of anything like that with the truck being so old. You'll probably have to hit a junkyard and cut the chunks you need out of another suburban.

·
Registered
191 Posts
can you take a picture of what your looking for? i might be able to help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After many phone calls and hours on the internet I have found out the part I need is no longer being made.
I started making templates and forming metal , cutting out rust and welding in the new pieces.
Ten pieces in the inner fender liner and over ten more in the rocker and ledge beneath the rear doors.Should start hanging the quarter tomorrow.
Lots of welding ,grinding and finish work to follow , I'm already burnt out. and I still have the other side to do . I won't be making the first race of the season.
I took many photos and hope to post them when I am finished.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts