GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1991 Silverado with the 350 and 700R4 with 321,000 miles on the chassis, and about 20,000 on most of the powertrain. Problem is i was letting my parents use it and when the were it decided the fan didnt like were it was on the water pump.. SO it tore up the shroud, the fan, the radiator and the water pump.. I was kinda wondering if anyone knew if a later model 2001-2006 radiator would fit in there with minimal modification? I am looking to go to electric fans since my 2006 has this and i notice the power difference over my last 2002 5.3.. I know i wont see a huge difference but a couple of ponies never hurt. Also any ideas on upgrading the Water pump (the fan wallowed out the bearings and not to sure what else yet) Since this is a fishing truck and more or less a beater i was planning on a 2003-2006 radiator with the electric cooling fans from a junk yard... What do you all think??

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Most likely the clutch on the fan went and that in turn took the water pump with it.

As far as the substitution of parts from one year to the other call a bone, junk, recycling yard. They have substitution books, programs that tell them what can be used from differing years.

Some members have put the electric fans in their truck and have nothing but good things to say about them, as far as HP increases. I really don’t know.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The electric fans are a great upgrade everyone i know who got them said they are worth it. as for water pumps go I just replaced mine for 60 bucks but I would recommend a hi-flo one from edelbrock. they cost about 150$ but will run your truck much cooler

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks yeah i kinda was leaning twards and edlebrock.. but wanted some feed back before i just throw money at.. As for more Hp i dont really care i just know there was a difference.. So we shall see. i just want the old beast running again and try to make it better since going 100 miles out and then 15 miles thru a trail to one of my fav fishing holes is the idea here.

·
Registered
561 Posts
ii replaced most of my clutch fan systems with a ford Tarus elec fan. (the one from any 3.8 motor or v-8) they have 2 speeds and a built in fan shroud. they are $15 at most junk yards and will out flow almost all aftermarket units. i used them in many setups. as for the water pump i used NAPA stock replacments and not had any issues and i dropped the Thermastate to 170 or 160 degrees and been very happy.

the ford one is on top and the garbage flex-a-junk on the bottom

mike

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thanks for the heads up on that... how did you mount it to the radiator though??? that is my big question.. I have to replace the radiator on my truck as well the fan took a big chunk out of that so i dont want to get a new radiator only to tear it up.. BUt yeah $15 is a heck of a lot better than any morket price.. What did you use for a thermostat controller or did you just wire it to a switch?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts