GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1993 Chevy c1500 that I am trying to wire in the courtesy lights under the dash on both sides. I can't find a wiring schematic for this year. The last owner put in an aftermarket radio in and I can find the wiring for the ash tray , courtesy lights and glove box light. Can any one out there provide a schematic and instructions on doing this?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Funny, I just posted this on another thread but, here's some manuals that may help...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man I appreciate the i formation that is an awesome book..
Could you tell me what you think the simplest way to wire in the courtesy lights.
The info you provided was excellent but it is a lot to absorb.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Jack, how do you want them wired:
1 - to come on with the headlights/parking lights?
2 - to come on with the dash lights and to dim with the dash lights?
3 - to be on whenever the key is on?
4 - to be on a switch that will let them be on whenever you want them on {no key on, no headlights, or dash lights on}?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I won't the courtesy lights to come in when I open the doors, be able to turn them them on with the dimmmer switch when the doors are closed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears that the under dash courtesy lights did not come on this ear truck. I can't seem to find any existing wires for courtesy lights! I have the complete dash out at this point.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
I won't the courtesy lights to come in when I open the doors, be able to turn them them on with the dimmmer switch when the doors are closed!
So, you want them to monitor the dome lights
Just find the dome light wires and bridge them on in parallel.
Note: a lot of early dome light circuits have 12 volts going to the lights and the ground is switched.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I understand. Take the wires from the courtesy light and splice them into the dome light wires. Is that right? Will that make the cut off when the door is shut?

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,099 Posts
It should. As Ray said, the door switch will ground the circuit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts