GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have been doing little things to my plow burban getting it ready for winter. have been sorting out running issuie? I have been starting it every other day with out any issuies other then the ones i was chasing? all of a sudden my dash went dead?? it start's and runs without the dash but not charging and all of a sudden i have no reverse not sure if related yet?? I have not trouble shot it yet wandering if anybody has run accross this b-4 and what they may have found somewhere to start??

·
Registered
10 Posts
When you say dash are you talking about the instrument cluster? If so it may be a loose ground wire for the cluster. However this should not affect reverse.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Long ago I had an S15 Jimmy. Yes, I know this is a completely different vehicle. However this may be worth a look. I lost my instrument cluster. I knew a mechanic who was very familiar with GM products. He told me to open the driver's side door, get on my knees, and look above the parking brake pedal and I would see a single wire on a ring terminal that screwed down to a section of steel above the parking brake pedal. I found it and it was loose - common problem. Tightened it up and problem solved. Your cluster ground may not be there but it's an easy look-see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for that. i recently had to removed 3 old alarm systems because of wiring issues. i will go back and revisit those area's and the one you told me about. thank you again

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
great advice. unfortunately, reverse has nothing to do with any of that wiring whatsoever and is probably a mechanical problem. is it a 4L60E? if so heres a list with the 30 common failures.

It could very well be a wiring problem but highly unlikely.

1. Slow, slipping or no reverse: “lo-reverse” clutches are worn out, fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. It is possible to remedy a fluid problem by removing the checkball from its cage in the case in the rear of the transmission may help (must remove valve body), or adding a high-viscosity additive or other seal restorer product. May also have worn boost valve (can replace in the pan).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts