GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what kind of hard plastic is used for the interior components like dash, speaker grills, seat belt latch covers, etc.? Styrene, polyethylene, nylon, etc?

I need to do some repair but am not sure what kind of adhesive to use.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
151 Posts
I believe I remember seeing some ABS stamps on some of my plastic components... After reading up on ABS plastics, I believe this is what you need to look into.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Probably more than one type, the soft might be nylon, the hard probably ABS.
Perhaps, and I haven't checked this out, the industry is required to mark the parts, as Jacob offered, he recalls seeing ABS.

EDIT: just roamed around on the net, it appears that there are 13 different plastics used in vehicles.
But the good news is that the high quality glues will repair most of the materials.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
151 Posts
Just not Gorilla Glue Clear! Just bought a tube yesterday to repair a sunglasses case and it specifically says no plastics.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I have had good success using JB Weld. The trick is that you need to add a reinforcement under the plastic that is cracked. I have been using some thin aluminum ( about 1/16 " thick ) about as thick as a street sign. It is a process. After cutting a small hole ( just big enough to get a small piece of aluminum in place, I have to back butter the aluminum, then glue it in place first, letting it dry over night. The glueing in the section you have to remove to get the aluminum in place. If find that the regular JB Weld works best. The 5 min stuff, is just not as strong. After all of the place that was cracked is filled in with JB Weld, then I sand it smooth and paint the area with some duplacolor vinal and fabric paint. I find it to be a very good match. I dont have a finished pic, but once done, you cant tell there was ever a crack there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably more than one type, the soft might be nylon, the hard probably ABS.
Perhaps, and I haven't checked this out, the industry is required to mark the parts, as Jacob offered, he recalls seeing ABS.

EDIT: just roamed around on the net, it appears that there are 13 different plastics used in vehicles.
But the good news is that the high quality glues will repair most of the materials.
That's what I was thinking but hoping to find something a little easier.

What do you consider "high quality glues"?

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Google automotive plastics glue, I saw a list of 10 best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts