GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 6.5 lt suburban. The power steering pump busted off at the studs. I was wondering if any one knew if this thing has a front bracket on the power steering pump???

·
Registered
472 Posts
I only remember the 3 bolts behind the pulley that hold the pump to the bracket that's bolted to the front of the engine....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Joe. I thought the same...I just wanted to make sure before I put the new one on and have it snap off. It sheared all the studs. its been 6 years since ive dealt with the 6.5. Thank you so much Joe

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club, Buck731. Good luck fixing your truck.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Welcome to the truck club Buck. I've not heard of this before. Is there any indication of what might have caused this? Has anyone seen these bolts shear off before?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, to be honest...I have never seen anything like this. Even in the four years I spent as a mechanic in the Marine Corps. By the looks of it, alls I can figure is that the bottom bolt or nut was over tightened and snapped. With time the vibration and tension from the belt took its toll. The upper bolt finally weakened enough to the point of failure. Thats what it looks like to me at least.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
OK, that makes more sense if they went one at a time. I thought that they had all just sheared at once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the new pump was mounted correctly (as I re-call...no brace in the front). However, after a week of driving the darn thing, the new pump is starting to cant some. I am going to have to make up a brace to help hold this thing straight.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Before spending a lot of time manufacturing a new brace for this pump I'd probably want to investigate a little more on whats causing this, this isnt a widespread problem on these trucks yours is probably only the second or third one I've heard about doing this.
This could be an issue of something seriously out of line on the front pulleys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts