GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought a 1995 Chevrolet Silverado c1500. When I bought it it didn't come with the remote that unlocks and locks it. I dont know if it has all the equipment for that. is there anyway that you can tell if there was one in it or not???

·
6,019 Posts
look at the tag in the glovebox. if you have a AU0 it means remote entry lock control, ie keyfob.

·
6,019 Posts
Almost any aftermarket remote starter or alarm system can give you keyless entry with the addition of a few relays. (Did it to my 1995) I know that a decent system should run you around $200 installed. You can find them cheaper, but the range will not be as far as it would be with a better system.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
In 95 remote keyless entry became optional. But like pikey said, if your truck doesn't have it, a good aftermarket kit will work. My key fob broke so I'm down to just the key.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
As long as the truck has power locks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all my glovebox has is a Ae7,AJ1, AM7,AU3,A20, and A31? but no AU0. does that mean I don't have it??

·
6,019 Posts
In 95 remote keyless entry became optional. But like pikey said, if your truck doesn't have it, a good aftermarket kit will work. My key fob broke so I'm down to just the key.
Do you have the old key fob? PM me a pic of it. I may have one laying around that I can send you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have the old key fob? PM me a pic of it. I may have one laying around that I can send you.
Pikey, I saw this offer and didn't know whatever happened. Our remote broke off the keyring and is gone. Apparently you can't buy another below $35. Crazy!! Ours is a 1995 1500 Silverado. It was a rectangle. You can buy other generic ones for about $8, but they don't say they are for a 1995.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
You can not just buy a key fob for a truck with power locks. The truck would have to have came with keyless entry from the factory. If not, there will be no sensor to pick up the key fob signal when you press the button. If you do however have power locks, you can buy a remote lock kit, or you can do what I did and install an alarm system. I have a Viper alarm system in my truck. I updated the system about 2 years ago, when my first systems key fobs quit working after about 10 years or so of service. I have had my 97 Silverado since 2002, and installed the first alarm system after having the truck for IDK maybe 2 or 3 years or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our keyless entry, remote, key fob, whatever you'd like to call it, broke off our keychain and is missing. I am trying to replace and and can't find one lower than $35. The person I mentioned in my post had offered one to another user. I am trying to locate a replacement I can program.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello guys new to this site I bought a 1995 rcsb black has v8 350 power windows and mirrors will like to add original factory remote key entry and info on this

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Hello guys new to this site I bought a 1995 rcsb black has v8 350 power windows and mirrors will like to add original factory remote key entry and info on this
Welcome to the forum. Nice truck. 95 is the oddball year. I doubt your truck had keyless entry from GM. The cost of adding OE keyless entry, will be expensive if you can find the parts at all. I may be wrong but my best guess is the first year for OE keyless entry is 98 when GM had passlock. I tell you, I can say enough good things about my Viper alarm system. They are nit expensive ( less than $200 installed) if you get the alarm with keyless entry. Im on my second system. My first one lasted about 10 years. And Viper has good support. You can get extra keyfobs if needed. Best buy sales and installs them, along with just about any auto stereo shop. I will never be without my system with keyless entry.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Oh and 95 has the interior of the 96+ trucks ( more or less ) and it has TBI. The engine is NOT a Vortec. The first year for Vortec was 96. 96 also added the passengers air bag, but not in the lower option trucks and some 2500, & 3500 trucks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts