GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've thrown my hands up and decided to try and ask for help or suggestions with my problem. I replaced a bad battery on my 95 Chevy k1500 and it fires right up but I cannot engage the transmission. No matter what I shift to, I can't engage the gear. If I shift back into park with the truck running, there is an audible grind. I can't put it in 4wd without hearing a grind either. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? I didn't have any issues until the new battery went in. Thank you.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
The only time an automatic will grind is when the driver shifts to Park and the truck is moving (or the rear wheels are on jack stands).

And, the only time a transfer case will grind is when the front wheels are turning at a different speed than the rears.

So, let's talk about the battery swap.
Why did you change it?
Was the truck parked for any time before the new battery?
And did everything work before the change?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ray,
The battery I had was 3+ years old and was failing, hence the replacement. The truck is not frequently used, but mechanically everything was working fine before I put the new battery in. Yes, it has been sitting for a few weeks.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
A few weeks shouldn't hurt, I was thinking a lot of weeks.

Ok, so a few weeks ago everything was fine?

Btw, you should get more than 3 years out of a battery.

Is there any possibility that the rear axle is broken, or one wheel is off the ground?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's parked flat in my driveway, and I don't see how the rear axle could be broken since I parked it there with no issues. I can't help but think that this could possibly be an electrical or maybe computer component issue? I'm an idiot when it comes to this, but it just seems really weird because all I did was put a new battery in and now it will go into gear but not drive.

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
I agree, as Spock would say, "that is logical" .

However, grinding is a mechanical issue.

Without getting yourself run over, can you get under the truck far enough to pin point the location of the noise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am absolutely dumbfounded. Your $.02 turned out to be EXACTLY my problem. Thank you both for your time and help. I am incredibly embarrassed to report that I looked down and indeed it was shifted to neutral instead of 2H. I'm going to look on the bright side and say that some internet embarrassment is better than being laughed out of the auto shop had I towed it there lol. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
Mind if I throw my $0.02 in? It almost sounds like your transfer case is in neutral?
Peter, that was a great suggestion, I could picture the transmission output shaft turning and grinding against the parking pawl; but couldn't figure out why a good diff would let the shaft spin.
Thank you

Glad your up and running (even if it is to the dump) @BT530

·
Registered
13,023 Posts
I am absolutely dumbfounded. Your $.02 turned out to be EXACTLY my problem. Thank you both for your time and help. I am incredibly embarrassed to report that I looked down and indeed it was shifted to neutral instead of 2H. I'm going to look on the bright side and say that some internet embarrassment is better than being laughed out of the auto shop had I towed it there lol. Thanks again :)
I remember one time I had the oil changed at a shop and the guy was short handed and asked to back it out.
He had left it in Drive (back before interlocks) and when I turned the key, no start.
He dug out the booster battery and still no start.
I was a lot embarrassed when someone pointed out it was in Drive.

As Greg said, we've all been there :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
but couldn't figure out why a good diff would let the shaft spin.
I was just thinking the trans and Transfer Case input shaft were spinning so, you try park or even 4WD it'll grind. Once they start spinning, you need to shut off the engine, put it in park and then grab a gear - 2hi or 4hi/low.

Glad your up and running (even if it is to the dump) @BT530
^^^X2 - cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts