GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have a 95 K2500 with 5.7. A few months back, the truck just died 40 mi from home. It didnt sputter, just died.
I just replaced the fuel pump for preventative messure, as it was the original. Anyway, its not a fuel issue, as I am getting fuel to the tbi carb. I replaced the ignition control module - that did nothing. I unhooked the computer wire under the dash - still didnt start? I had a known good ignition coil on hand - that didn't fix the problem.
Only thing I can think of now is: bad reluctor wheel on distributor, or bad cap or rotor? Any helpful input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Check for 12 volt at the coil primary, it could be the ignition switch

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ray, I didnt think about that. With a bad ignition switch you can still have the starter trying to turn over the engine - but no voltage to the coil?
Thanks for your help! Bill

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Bill, just a guess, hope it helps

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You can check for spark at the coil with a screwdriver inserted in the coil hi voltage wire held close to an engine ground while someone cranks the engine. If no spark then the problem is back toward the dist. Use a insulated pair of gloves and a wood or plastic screwdriver. Could be pickup coil inside dist or a broken dist drive.
Check all fuses as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help Ray and Silverado! I'll give it a go next chance I get to work on the truck.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Strong recommendation if you determine that it is spark related: save your money on component pieces and buy a new distributor. Everything about the distributor is very possibly original given that the pump was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts