GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 95 Burb with loose steering. From my search on the internet I found it could be steering box, pitman arm, drag link, ball joints, or tie rod ends. How do I know which one of these it is? Can I fix it myself? I am not a mechanic but have mechanic friends. How much to get this fixed at a shop? How serious of a saftey threat is this? Any info greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
First take it to a front-end shop.

Have them check it out, if anything is wrong they will catch it.

Some things are easier than others.

drag link, ball joints, or tie rod ends, are the easiest.

Pitman arm, and steering box are a little tougher.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You will save a lot on parts and the labor, but you will have to get it aligned afterwards. Some specialty tools are needed for front end work, but most are available to rent from your local parts store. Last year I paid to have my tie rod ends replaced after bending them offroading. It was in the neighborhood of $400 for parts, labor and alignment.

I recently did the steering box on my own and you get get an idea what that was like in a previous post of mine: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17805&postcount=7

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I took it in today and it was the pitman arm, idler arm (sp?), and one ball joint. Total for the repair was $685.00.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Dam $50 worth of parts and a $50 alignment for $685 I got to open a garage.

I didn’t mean for you to have them do the work, except for the alignment after you replaced what they found wrong.

Maybe I should have been more specific.

Glad you got it fixed, sorry it cost so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts