GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 GMC K1500 with 175000 miles, still runs like a top. Had to do very little maintenence, normal usage, getting ready to do the rear air evaporator ($$ ;-( ).

I love my truck, I have done some minor updates, still have a few more things to do. I will try and get a picture and get it up here soon.

I saw a post earlier about what can they pull.... a lot more than they are supposed to that's for sure. I frequently pull a 28 foot flatbed with a New Holland LS170 Turbo, I think that might be over the limit just a bit ;-).

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
How does it handle with something that long? I know that's one of the factors that people have been staying to watch for.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
long trailers

I don't have any problems with the length, the weight is the big issue, I don't have a power brake installed yet and it would definately be helpful. I also am running original shocks (till saturday then I can replace them). I am hoping that will help with a little sag that I think I noticed. If not I will be getting a set of air bags with the on board compressor for the back.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
You really should get the trailer brake setup soon. I don't need to tell you that it's not safe to drive around like that. Tekonsha makes very good trailer brake accessories. http://tekonsha.com/#Welcome
We use a tekonsha voyager in both our Suburban, and Avalanche for our horse trailer. Never had any problems, nor heard of any.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TrailLeadr, I have that in the plan, just needed a starting point and now I have one. Did you do any upgrades on the rear suspension for that horse trailer? Bags or helper springs etc....?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My 'burban is a 2500, so it only drops about an inch under the weight of the trailer. The avalanche is only a 1500, so we may need to upgrade a little on that one. I'm definately considering air bags.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey TrailLeadr did you ever get those bags installed? looking for some real world feedback before I spend the money.......

G

·
0 Posts
I actually haven't even done it. I wish I had something to tell you. Just crawled out from under the financial rock we've been under. All projects have been on hold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts