GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
speed sensor is not a problem. when did you get this problem ?
if you purchased this truck now then the previous owner could have changed the PCM to adjust for different tires lift big tires then put on the OEM smaller size tires. also the rear diff could be changed .
is this 2WD ?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
The ECM has to be recalled to make the speed o read correctly. This need to be done with a programer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone know why the speedometer could be reading too fast? It has the original tires and wheels still on. My buddy recommended changing the speed sensor, but I’m unsure if the 1996 year has one. Thanks for the help.192.168.0.1 routerlogin 192.168.l.l
I recently went through this with a ‘95 K1500, with 155K. I replaced the Sensor, but it continued. A friend who runs a garage pulled the speedo stet and sent it off for repair. When I got it back I notice the new needle, but it was operating good. We laughed, going down a two lane road, cars passed me, but I was doing 80.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 1996 chevy c1500 does the same it reads 70mph when I'm really doing 60 and I put a code reader that has live data and.the speed sensor says it says the same thing as Google maps I know they have a wheel speed sensor for the abs

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
My 1996 chevy c1500 does the same it reads 70mph when I'm really doing 60 and I put a code reader that has live data and.the speed sensor says it says the same thing as Google maps I know they have a wheel speed sensor for the abs
you have no codes so the speed sensors are working. tires changed/smaller/also PCM has to be programed to make the correct signal from the transmission sensor .. did you put the correct tire size ? when did you buy it ..

·
Registered
3,460 Posts

Reactions: RayVoy

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as I know everything is stock it did have smaller tire on it when my grandpa got it other than that I went back to the 235/75r15

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
To get my speedometer to read rite in my 97, since I went to 373 gears, I had to recallirbrate for that, but even then, I had to go down to a 26 inch tire for it to read rite. I do have a Denali inst cluster, so I have a 120 MPH speedo, but even when I had the OE 100 MPH speedo, and the OE 342 gears, I still had to go down to a 26" tire. IDK why these things get off like that, but they do. I have a Jet flash tuner- programmer for my truck, so its no big deal to reset tire size, or gear ratio, or set the speed limiter to max (225 MPH) or whatever. I am running 275/60/15 tires. They are about the same height as 235/78/15s the OE size for a C1500. Even back when I did have the OE size tires, the speed was off, and I had to recall the tire size to get it to read rite.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Is there a way to recalibrate the speedometer without a high dollar code scanner
Well, you can buy a cheaper speedometer recalibrating tool. Its basically a flash tuner but only does the speedo. They still arnt cheap though. Your other options are to try to get a trans shop to reset it, or a dealer, maybe, or a dyno shop. None of this will be inexpensive. The only way to reset the speedo is by reprogramming the ECM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts