GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 2500(two wheel drive) is way to heavy duty for what I need it for. Is there any way to get it to be a little less heavy duty. Also does it have a 4l80 or 4l60? If it's a 4l80 I might just take it out for that and the vortec heads, because it needs cab mounts, front springs and shocks, rear shock mount, bed bolted down ECT.

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,786 Posts
Howdy and welcome, Harry.
What engine do you have?

Are you looking for a smoother ride, a smaller truck, better mileage?

4L80E

4L60E

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy and welcome, Harry.
What engine do you have?

Are you looking for a smoother ride, a smaller truck, better mileage?

4L80E

4L60E
It's the vortec 350. I don't care about milage. It's a 2 door so its not very much bigger than the 1500, it's just more heavy duty. Ideally I'd get a 1500 but the prices of them right now are insane in my area. Definitely a smoother ride, the only solution I have is to put weight in the bed and that helps a lot.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, the '98 C2500 ext. cab, "heavy 3/4 ton" I used to have rode a WHOLE lot better with 700 or 800 pounds in the bed.

You can remove leafs from the rear springs or change them to 1/2 ton springs if the length is the same. I don't know if you can simply swap in 1/2 ton front springs, whether they will fit or not. The control arms are different, I'm pretty sure, and the 2500 sits up higher than the 1500. Maybe you could buy softer springs to fit it, but then you're spending money. One cheat would be to put on higher profile tires, 85 series possibly, or simply run lower pressure in your existing ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts