GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 chevy tahoe. I would like to get the trans replaced for a decent price. but i was also wondering if i was to buy either a 700r4 if that will work, as far as a direct bolt up and take right off. or ifi found a a 4l60e trans that is 2x4 and just replace the rear tailshaft. Can anyone help me out??

kenny

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have a 96 chevy tahoe. I would like to get the trans replaced for a decent price. but i was also wondering if i was to buy either a 700r4 if that will work, as far as a direct bolt up and take right off. or ifi found a a 4l60e trans that is 2x4 and just replace the rear tailshaft. Can anyone help me out??

kenny
The bone yards have what they call substitution books, that would be my suggestion to give a local one a call and ask them. I’m not sure myself, maybe someone else here knows.

·
1,556 Posts
As I understand it, the 4L60E is essentially a fully electronically controlled 700R4. Putting a 700R4 into your '96 will require reprogramming of the computer to account for the non-electronic controls in the 700R4.

4l60e trans that is 2x4 and just replace the rear tailshaft
From what I understand, yes, you simply need to replace the rear tailshaft/tail housing to convert a 2x4 to a 4x4. However (you knew there would be a however, right?), the tailshaft is usually the very last thing removed when disassembling a transmission. This means that you must disassemble the transmission in order to replace the tailshaft. Which is usually what you are trying to avoid when a question like this is asked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts