GM Truck Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1997 5.7 Fuel Pressure Regulator?? [Expired Topic]

48K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr_Zero 
Start by saying that I'm pretty new to GM truck engines (bought the Suburban about 2 months ago), so I'm going on what my Haynes manual says and what I know generally of how fuel systems are designed.

Haynes says the FPR is part of the "fuel meter body" and is accessed by removing the upper intake manifold.

Why do you suspect the FPR is bad? From what I can tell, the fuel delivery system on these engines is similar in design to the fuel system on my Ford's: Fuel pump delivers fuel to the engine, FPR is a basic backpressure regulator bleeding off the excess fuel pressure back to the fuel tank as it maintains a constant pressure to the injectors. On a system like this, if the fuel pressure measured at the test port is correct (60 psi according to the manual), then the FPR is not a likely cause of the no start. Where you're measuring "good" pressure at the test port (I don't know how you've defined "good"), I'm not sure I would suspect the FPR as the faulty component.

My BII has a dual pump system, the Explorer has a single pump system. Neither of them has given me any trouble at 150K and 200K miles respectively.

I'll be interested to see what problem you find and how the FPR contributes to it.

Does anyone know if the PCM directly monitors fuel pressure on these?

As for knowing for sure if the FPR is under the plenum, I haven't been under there (yet), but I would trust the manual on this (and I will be the first to admit that manuals make mistakes). If you feel it's necessary, hopefully someone who's actually been in there can confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.