GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this truck and the guy told me it needed a timing chain so i did the timing chain on it and put it all back together I've been struggling reading every forum article everywhere i can find on the internet i had taking the motor out to do the timing chain cuase i also put all new gaskets oil pan, timing cover, water pump, rear main, valve cover, intake manifold, etc also new fuel pump, new ignition module,new coil, new plug wires, new plugs, new cap, new rotor, and of course made the newbie mistake of not setting TDC and marking distributor

Now it's all back together and i can't get it to run it cranks and depending on where i set the distributor it either just cranks or it may backfire and pop

Just for more clarification I was told to set the distributor to the point on the cap for plug #1
And turn it counter clockwise a 1/4 of and inch if engine was set to TDC

I did that and it just cranked and made a tiny lil pop sound out of the intake

Then some one told me to set it to the tiny lil 6 under the cap so i did and got a big backfire
Tryed every knoch in between and all i get is either a backfire or a tiny pop or nothing

PLZ HELP ITS MY DAILY AND I NEED IT RUNNING

·
Registered
17,446 Posts
Ok, let's not try to get it to run with 2, or 3, problems
It will start if everything is at factory spec.

Reset the valves.

Then, remove the number 1 plug.
Set the number 1 cylinder to TDC (remember the cylinder comes up twice for each cycle, you need to find the compression stroke).
The compression stroke is the one with both valves closed, the exhaust stroke has the exhaust valve open.
So, stick your finger into the plug hole, turn the engine until you feel air coming out of the plug hole, stop turning.
Get a short piece of wire, or a drinking straw, and slide it into the plug hole.
Turn the engine again, slowly until the wire reaches the peak of its climb.
Your at top dead center.
At this point, the 2 indexing marks on the timing chain gears should be pointing at each other

Now you need to get the distributor dropped into the correct spot.

I don't have any experience with the distributors that do not have a vacuum advance, maybe someone can assist here.

The distributor needs to mesh with the cam gear and needs to drop onto the oil pump drive shaft.
In the old days, we would point the vacuum advance at the number 6 cylinder and the rotor at the number 1 cylinder, drop in the distributor and turn it a bit so that when it's meshed with the gear the vacuum and the rotor are pointing as I described above.
Ok, the distributor is close to being installed. All you need to do is get the oil pump shaft into the distributor.
The gears are properly meshed, so your now free to turn the crank which will turn the shaft of the distributor. As the shaft, and the rotor, turn, the oil pump drive will align with the oil pump shaft and the distributor will drop into place.

Now you need to time the engine
You need a timing lamp and you need to disconnect the timing wire (sorry, I don't know where it is on your truck; but one of the guys will help us).
With the wire disconnected, set the timing to 0 degrees.

It should run like a top

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because other than that part i have done everything u said and it acts like it wants to start but won't I'm gonna go over the valves and timing again to be sure there right

1 - 10 of 10 Posts