GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, the dome light in my '97 Z71 all of a sudden will only be very dim if it comes on. I also noticed the cargo light does not come on but the third brake light still works. I did install an aftermarket LED brake light and put in an LED bulb in the dome light. The control switch for the lights is only a few years old so I don't believe that is the problem. Does anyone have an idea why my lights are not working properly?

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
Try changing back to a real bulb, that will narrow it down.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Not really sure why they bother to call it a cargo light., dons't lite much anyway. But hey remove it and take one of those 9 volts out of one of your kids toys. test the Led's with it you will at least eliminate those as the problem. They worked when you put them in, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for taking a look. I have put in the old bulb to see if it would light up and it doesn't. When I switched bulbs the old one still worked, that is why I kept it...good thing as I hardly ever keep stuff I replace. The red LEDs for brake light part of the cargo light still works, just not the white LEDs. Both the dome LED and cargo LED has worked since I installed them in February. I have exposed the wiring for the light switch in the dash and do not see any signs of burnt wires or anything. Do you think the dome light housing could be going bad and causing the issue?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Naa, mostlikly switch or multiple switches, turn it on and see if you have power up at the dome with a tester at the wire terminals no power most likely not switched on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made sure the switches are all on. When the Led bulb is in it is really dim. From the time I installed the Led it worked fine until last week. Maybe I just need a big hammer...

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I would say you need to first check the ground, if that's to hard to trace. Take the dome light apart and check with a 12V DC meter. Sounds like your missing one or the other ground or + with it being dim, might be a feed back thru something else thay are vampires.

·
Registered
13,849 Posts
Yeah, ground, or fuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will start checking grounds and wiring and let you know if I find something. Thank you once again for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally had a chance to trace the issue. We found that it is a ground issue but still cannot find where the exact issue is at. I think it is somewhere underneath the dash where all of the wiring comes together but cannot tell what wire it is or where it is bad. Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts