GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blower was not working on the highest position, so today i decided to beat the sun and wake up early and check the problem. Since i already had replaced the switch, blower relay, and the blower resistor i knew it was some electrical thing, so i got my tester and my voltmeter to troubleshoot. i took out the glove box and check the relay for a current, nothing...as i was looking around some connector caught my attention...it was burn pretty bad...i decided to jump the wires and test the relay for current and vuola it had current the light in the tester lighted it up, so i knew that was my problem, went to the junkyard and bought a replacement for $5 dlls. I installed the replacement and everything worked, the fan worked in all speeds, but i touched the wires and they were a bit hot, any suggestions? The connect has some letters marked on them ABC and PED10 and PED22.I have atteched some pictures..
. 110818_135256.jpg 110818_135358.jpg 110818_135427.jpg 110818_135449.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes, keep a fire extinguisher handy! If only the connector and wires close to the connector are getting hot it is still the connection. If the wires are getting hot along the entire length then I would expect the motor to be bad or fast approaching it and drawing higher than normal amps/current and overloading the wire. If you can get the specifications and check the amp draw, it would tell alot about your problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i drove the truck for about 15 mins, i got home and checked the wires they were pretty hot...i also touched the wires before and after the splice connectors, i bought some splice connectors to connect the wires... and to my surprise before he splice connectors the wires are not hot, so it may be just a bad connection, tomorrow i will solder the wires and put some lubrication in between the connection. I hope it doesn't get hot anymore.

Splice Connectors bought at walmart.
108-4411.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
The problem is high resistance in the connector terminals. Instead of replacing the connector, just splice the wires together, using solder instead of those crimp connectors. Should be way below 20 amps. Just know that if you ever have to work on it again, you'll have to cut the wires (no big deal). Also, put an ammeter in the circuit and check the current draw of your blower motor.
Good Luck and God Bless

·
Registered
530 Posts
What exactly will you be lubricating and why. I have used grease, NO-OX, and silicone dielectric grease on connections for the purpose of preventing corrosion and to help make water proof but not for lubrication.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to fix it. I cut the wires solder them together, taking off the connector. After i solder the wires, i was testing for temperature increase and there was none.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts