GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lights are acting strange on my Silverado. Some times I only get the daytime running lights and they usually come on with the ignition. Other times, I get low beams only and pulling the dimmer switch does nothing. The randomly it goes back to normal and now sometimes I loose headlights altogether.

The first thing I did was to check all the fuses and they're fine. Since these are noted for problems with the multifunction switch, I figured it couldn't hurt to change it. My old lady had a Cavalier the same year and when it lost low beams, a new switch fixed it and this one is remarkably like similar... So yesterday I put in a new switch and took it for a short test drive and it seemed OK. Today I drove it further and now it's back to the same old problems.

I had planned to change the headlight relay too but the one I got from the auto parts store had 4 pins and the only one the same size under the dash where it's supposed to be has 5 pins. The 2 local auto parts stores have nothing like it.

So I now have a truck that can only be driven in daylight hours only. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

Tony

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The DRL has a module that controls its function. It is under the dash close to the steering column. IMO, it sounds like a bad ground, or a short. A test light will be your best friend in finding the issue. If you dont have a test light, you can get one at your local parts store. They are inexpensive, maybe $10 or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The real PITA here is that it's an intermittent problem. When the truck is cold, it always works. I have a lot of arthritis and getting under there is difficult for me so this may take some time. I've ordered a new relay and I'm going to replace it when it gets here. I figured for 5 bucks, it's worth the risk...

BTW, I realize I didn't make it clear, I replaced the multi-function switch on the steering column. I've found other references to the headlight dash switch causing this problem.

Also a little more background. This truck is low miles 117k and has been well taken care of. For the most part it doesn't look like a 23 year old truck.

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The grounds were fine. I was grasping at straws so I replaced the headlight switch and it solved the problem.

I've only had this truck for a couple months and I'm still getting to know it. After dark, the headlights come on with the ignition. Is this supposed to happen?

Tony

·
Registered
14,133 Posts
After dark, the headlights come on with the ignition. Is this supposed to happen?

Tony
Sounds normal if you have auto headlights.
Look for a dome sensor in the middle of the dash near the glass, it's the daylight sensor.

·
Registered
274 Posts
you have automatic headlights, they call them daytime running lights, mine come on with key, newer ones can come on when it gets dark,

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Day time running lights, are just that. Your headlights,or a ring of light around your headlights on newer vehicles, are DRLs. Automatic headlights, are just that. Auto headlights, have a sensor on the dash to turn on the headlights in dim light conditions. DRLs are not controlled by a sensor. The BCM turns on DRLs when you start your truck, or on older trucks there is a module for the DRLs. Here are 2 pics of the sensor for automatic headlights on a 1 ton Chevy truck. If you cover that sensor, your headlights will come in if your HL switch is set to auto, if it has that option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The electrical gremlins have now moved to the back of the truck. On the test drive the other day I noticed the right side turn signals stopped flashing when I hit the brakes. My first thought was a bulb so I bought one and indeed one of the filaments burned out. Installing the new bulb didn't fix the problem. I may have had a brake light out and not known it.

The first thing I did after the bulb didn't help was to check the ground with an ohm meter and it's fine... Anyway if figured since a taillight circuit board was cheap, I'd try a new one. No change.

Last night I was tinkering with it and this time I didn't have the engine running when I was doing a light check and I heard a slight buzzing sound that only happens for maybe 1 second when I hit the brakes when the right turn signal is on. At first I thought it was perhaps peddle squeak but it only happens with the right signal on and when depressing the brake peddle. The sound seems to be coming from the area of the headlight switch. Anyone know if the head light switch could effect the brake lights or turn signals? The problem did start after replacing the headlight switch... Did Chevy fit a signal buzzer to these that could be bad?

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts