GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new and this is my first post so all help is appreciated. I have a 97 suburban 4X4. For the past several months it has been starting slow. Checked battery and started and had to replace the battery as it was 4 years old. Now 1 month from getting new battery it has become worse. It is slow to start as if the battery is not charged. I checked to alt and it is working. Battery is showing full charge on testing equipment.

What could be the problem?

Thanks for any and all help everyone.

2cents....

·
Registered
225 Posts
My thought would be the starter, it is probably getting tired and drawing a lot of current. This can easily be checked with an inductive amp meter, they are very cheap at auto parts stores. All you do is hold it on the wire while another person cranks it over, it will show the amperage draw.

Phil

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
Battery cables may be getting a little old and corroded. Once the wire starts getting corroded, it can't move as much current. That means it wouldn't start as well... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i say connections or cables. they will corrode under the insulation and just rot away unseen. you can temp use a good set of jumper cables and see if it is one or the other or both....mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts