GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Cavalier has two issues.

1) The cig lighter / power keeps popping fuses. Not all that often, maybe every 3 months. This is the 3rd time it's happened, just replaced the fuse.

2) Cruise Control doesn't seem to work anymore. Can this be related to #1? I checked CC fuse and it looks fine.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Change the cruise control fuse, even if it looks good.

As far as the lighter goes change that fuse at the same time you change the other one, just for yuks.

I don’t think they are related but just try it and see what happens.

They have some great info on here for cruise controls.

http://www.the12volt.com/cruises/cruises.asp#special

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

It looks like I've got quite a few possibilities to trace down if it's not just a bad fuse or whatever.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I replaced the cig/adapter fuse and it looks like it's all good. It works fine. It's possible that my cell phone is causing it to pop, maybe a cheap charger???

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Steve said:
Well, I replaced the cig/adapter fuse and it looks like it's all good. It works fine. It's possible that my cell phone is causing it to pop, maybe a cheap charger???
It really shouldn't be drawing that much power. Could be cheap charger, low quality construction.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced the fuses. The power/cig works fine now. The cruise does not work. My next stop is to look for a loose connection on the brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Didn’t think they were related but was worth a try.

The only connection to the brake pedal is an extra wire on the brake light switch.

Also check for vacuum leaks in the engine compartment, in the vacuum can. It’s a storage can that runs some of the mechanical links to the throttle.

Now days I think it’s a plastic ball, years ago they looked like a coffee can.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To make matters worse it's FREEZING up here. I used to work for a lumber supply company, we had a big 4500 sq foot drive-in mill shop with a 500,000 BTU forced air heater. That was great, we could move a vehicle in there, run the heat for 5 minutes and wear t-shirts to work on something after hours even if it's 10F outside.

Those were the days.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
No heat in the garage does make working on something as unimportant as cruise control not worth the trouble.

Dam 10 degrees in Texas, you are almost as cold as we are. 5 right now and going sub 0 overnight.

They said on the local radio station it could hit -17.

Try grabbing a ratchet in those temps with your bare hands and you are going to need a blow torch to let loose.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, no kidding. We had another snow/ice event here, so I'll put this off for another few days.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like the weather is going to be a bit better this weekend. I think I'll look into this project to see if I can figure out the cause of my CC not working any more.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
It looks like the weather is going to be a bit better this weekend. I think I'll look into this project to see if I can figure out the cause of my CC not working any more.
Whats a bit warmer?

Right now I think we are getting some of your bad weather. I am writing this at 5:50 AM and it's -9 F.

If it starts and moves today I ain't doing anything to it.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm.

Well, it's 34F right now.

58F and sunny today.
58F and mostly sunny tomorrow.
57F and SHOWERS on Saturday. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hmm, they changed it on me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts