GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a fun issue. My 99 suburban decided to die on me recently. Was running alright. Went into my parents for maybe 30mins. Came back out it fired up and then died maybe a half second to second after. Never had the issue before. Today decided to attempt to diagnose. It has spark. Distributer looks good. Changed the fuel pump with assembly and fuel filter. Also changed the cam sensor and crankshaft sensor. Lastly changed the ignition switch due to sometimes it acting up and messing with my gauges and transmission. Replaced idle control motor as well. Checked all the relays. All working. All fuses are good. Attempting the security passcode reset now due to running out of options. The security light isnt showing. But not sure if this suburban has one. Spray starter fluid into intake and it will run for a second longer then dies out again. Not sure what's causing it. thinking maybe fuel pressure regulator. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the Forum, Mason. Get your hands on a fuel pressure tester and see what’s going on with the pump. Starting fluid results are almost a sure bet that your pump is not functioning properly, I’m sorry to say. New doesn’t always mean good these days. I have a Delphi that I put in about three years ago and it’s only pushing 8psi on my TBI engine. I want 10+ so I’ve replaced it with a new Delco. Waiting for the weather to break so I can put the tank back in the truck.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I had a delphi fail in 13 months but i honestly think it was bad from the beginning.

Man it could be so simple, how are the grounds? They turned to dust 2 years ago on my 97 burb. I had very similar symptoms. One fro. The neg to fender, lower passenger side firewall to frame and same spot on frame up to the passanger side rear motor, here it runs through a heat shield around the exhaust.

Check these out if you haven't yet. Iv been through most of the stuff on your list and this is my best guess.

Take care

Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we rented a fuel pressure test gauge first before replacing the fuel pump. We thought that might have been the issue because my reading seemed a little lower the first time with the old pump. Same symptoms with new pump. And it does fire. Just doesn't run long at all. I will check the negative cable. It would he crazy if it was something that simple after replacing all those sensors and stuff. But they probably needed to be replaced soon anyways.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a fun issue. My 99 suburban decided to die on me recently. Was running alright. Went into my parents for maybe 30mins. Came back out it fired up and then died maybe a half second to second after. Never had the issue before. Today decided to attempt to diagnose. It has spark. Distributer looks good. Changed the fuel pump with assembly and fuel filter. Also changed the cam sensor and crankshaft sensor. Lastly changed the ignition switch due to sometimes it acting up and messing with my gauges and transmission. Replaced idle control motor as well. Checked all the relays. All working. All fuses are good. Attempting the security passcode reset now due to running out of options. The security light isnt showing. But not sure if this suburban has one. Spray starter fluid into intake and it will run for a second longer then dies out again. Not sure what's causing it. thinking maybe fuel pressure regulator. Any ideas?
Have you had your battery checked? The same thing happened to me. It was loose battery cables, and it needed a charge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts