GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, '99 Burb with the 5.7 about 240k miles.

Since I bought the truck it's always had weird electrical problems but none of them were immobilizing the truck. First thing I noticed was when I turned the A/C on to full front and rear and that made the volt gauge go from "half tank" to "quarter tank" on the gauge. It'd be the worst when you're idling in drive once you take off it moves back up a tiny bit. Never seen the battery light and it's never killed the battery driving. I've replaced the battery and alternator just to be safe since they were pretty cheap. I believe it needs some new grounds as the one on the passenger side frame rail in the engine bay looked gross when I cleaned it.

The first big problem for me in this ownership was when I towed a Mustang of mine about 100 miles using a UHaul trailer. It towed it no problem and when I went to return the trailer I got back in to leave and it would just crank and not start. Got it towed home and found out it would start if you sprayed carb cleaner in the throttle body but would die after it burned up. I replaced the ICM just in case it was that and I'm still stumped. I believe it's an issue with the injectors/electrics as the fuel pump still comes on and makes the same sound it always has no worse or strained. I have not tested the fuel pressure yet I need to figure out where the test port is. It was a super hot day when it died and it had been towing pretty much it's max weight almost right up until it died so I'm wondering if the heat killed something. Gauge stayed right below 210 for the entire trip. Fan clutch definitely works because I had not heard it go to 100% mode until today haha it makes it sound like a semi taking off.

I looked at all the fuses and while none of them were blown (the wire anyway, I can't find anything not working yet apart from the no start) a bunch of them had bluish discoloration on the legs like when you hold a torch to titanium. No charring just the discoloration. I attached an image of what the discoloration looks like in general on a muffler since I don't have any photos of the fuses themselves doh

It's currently just sitting until I can borrow a truck to tow it out to my mechanic as the shop is like 100 miles away from me unless I can figure it out beforehand. Thank you

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
2,004 Posts
I'm leaning towards fuel pressure. I don't think it has a test port on his year vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ding Ding, got it over to my mechanic this evening and he called me 45 minutes after I left saying it's only pushing ~40psi. I guess it's supposed to be above 60? Oh well at least it wasn't something worse and that pump was loud as hell anyway (username checks out haha) so it'll be nice to quiet that down

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had him buy a Carter brand pump, never used them before usually get Delphi or Bosch but he could get the Carter a lot faster. Hopefully it's silent, when you're standing behind the truck you can hear the fuel pump OVER the engine. Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts