GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i changed my tranny filter and gasket today. the tranny was actin up before i did this thats why i changed it. now it wont shift into third or fourth gears at all early when i first got it changed it would go though them all fine now it wont what would cause this? before we changed it the tranny was slippin really bad. and if u put it to the floor it would act ike it was in neutuel. so we changed it and that did fix it. so what could be the cause guys any help would be lover cause this is my only vehical and i love it to death . so please help me thanks zach

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
It’s possible you had something, a small particle stuck in one of the valves in the valve body. When you changed the fluid it was still stuck but with new clean fluid it loosened it up.

Sometimes changing the fluid can help and make it worse at the same time. If that makes sense.

If the fluid had never been changed before, changing it may have loosened up even more of the crud that was inside. This can be good and bad. Smell the fluid on the dipstick. If the new fluid smells like burnt almonds it may be to late. You can try changing the fluid and filter again.

Not a real trany guy. But I have lost a couple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it hasnt been changed the truck has a 187,249 miles and the filter and fluid has not been changed until yesterday.

·
Registered
84 Posts
well that explains alot right there! holy negligence! the transmission should be flushed at LEAST every 100k, and if you drive hard, tow, or drive in hot weather, it should be done every 50k. 180 is not bad for a transmission that has never had its fluid changed before...but it certainly could have been around MUCH longer had you flushed it every 50k. I find it hard that you love it to death...not caring for it isn't exactly showing that...unless you mean LITERALLY love it to DEATH. haha.

Looks like you are up for a reman transmission or a rebuilt one. Personally I recommend the Jasper Reman 4L60E, it has a TON of reliability updates.

My truck only has 32k right now and I'm considering flushing it early just because. Preventative maintenance is cheap in comparison to the cost of major repairs.

I hope you've changed your differential fluid at least twice by now also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any way i can get it to work for a little while so i can get money to buy a new one for it. and what tranny would u guys recommd for it thanks zach

·
Registered
279 Posts
not much you can do to "band-aid" it together, sounds like 3-4 clutch gone, normally the weakest one and first to go.:frown:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im still in high school and this is the only vehical i got. would it hurt to druve it 6 miles a day i second only till i can get the tranny fixed.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
To continue driving it isnt the best thing, but then it's already broke. Eventually you'll lose 2nd gear also.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
You could try changing the fluid again and cleaning the valve body. That might give you a short reprieve. It could also make it worse.

Do not, I repeat do not mess with the valve body if you are even a little bit intimidates by it.

You could get a bone yard trany, just make sure you get a guaranty, and the fluid doesn’t smell burnt.

Sorry we don’t have any better news for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts