GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I hope this is a forum that sets aside personal preferences and helps get to solutions.

I have an 05 GMC Sierra 1500, ext. cab. I want to put a 2/4 lowering kit on it, composed of drop shackles and drop spring hangars for the rear, and new torsion keys for the front (4x4). As I understand it, 4" in the rear is the max drop you can go without implementing a c notch into the frame, which i DO NOT want to do. I've heard of people still adding the c notch on the frame for additional coverage/suspension travel, because they experienced knocking on the frame. I understand that when applying this drop kit, you are narrowing the gap between frame and rear end parts, however I am curious to know if anyone else has had the issue of knocking from full suspension compression.

Please share your thoughts if you have any experience with this subject.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I lowered my '05 crew cab 4x4 4 inches by adding drop shackles and removing the lift block. I removed my bump stops to gain the necessary suspension travel. Without doing that, the rear suspension bottomed out all the time. I recommend getting the lower shock bracket extenders and you'll need shorter shocks too. I didn't do a kit, I bought all the parts separately. Drop keys, shackles and shorter u-bolts so I could remove the lift block that they use on 4x4's. I recommend dropping the rear that way as opposed to spring hangers ( lot of work to do the hangers, especially if your stock ones are welded on.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dropped my 05 Yukon with a 3" kit. and only went 3" because of that problem. Gladly paid $900 for all in, as there were a couple of issues and I don't want to get have way through a job and go, "awww crap!"
Pics on my site.
Now I'm looking to lower my 93 Yukon 4x4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts