GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys as my name suggests I am British, moved to Canada and eventually bought a Truck which I said I would never do. Truck cost me $1k as the move crippled me financially and I needed a cheap run around. $13k later I have a mostly restored it which I said I'd never do, done everything I think would help to make it a better truck and most of the things I've done haven't made a difference. Recently I have noticed a vibration that feels nothing like an out of balance wheel, its a very fast but not overwhelming vibration over 70Kph and feels like I am going over a rumble strip in the road at speed (Rumble strip is a British thing, that's why I mentioned I am British, designed to slow you down). I just wondered if anybody else had this issue or any ideas on this sudden new problem?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If it's a vibration shaking the cab and seat head rests but not the steering wheel, I will start checking drive shafts, front and rear, for bad u-joints. If you have a two-piece rear driveshaft, you need to check the center bearing support.
Also check the transmission/transfer case cross member support bolts. They can be loose.

Reactions: j cat and thegawd

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,435 Posts
Front driveshaft on this model spins at all times, even in 2wd. This is usually what I find is the problem when I get a vibration around 40mph, even if the U-joints seem alright.

I recommend dropping the front shaft to examine the u-joints. My last round with this problem, I thought they were alright until I pulled them. No slop. No noise. Pulled them and the front one was shot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front driveshaft on this model spins at all times, even in 2wd. This is usually what I find is the problem when I get a vibration around 40mph, even if the U-joints seem alright.

I recommend dropping the front shaft to examine the u-joints. My last round with this problem, I thought they were alright until I pulled them. No slop. No noise. Pulled them and the front one was shot.
Awesome, thanks for that advice. I'm going to have a look at that tomorrow

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Awesome, thanks for that advice. I'm going to have a look at that tomorrow
drop the rear drive shaft .. probably the Ujoint has a bind .. drive shaft is aluminum .. I had the same vibe at 68 MPH 2000 silverado 4wd LT...replaced the rear UJOINT.... I installed it with grease fittings...every 12 months.
my new toyota truck has grease fittings on the ujoints and the splines .. I grease it every november..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
drop the rear drive shaft .. probably the Ujoint has a bind .. drive shaft is aluminum .. I had the same vibe at 68 MPH 2000 silverado 4wd LT...replaced the rear UJOINT.... I installed it with grease fittings...every 12 months.
my new toyota truck has grease fittings on the ujoints and the splines .. I grease it every november..
Thanks. I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys as my name suggests I am British, moved to Canada and eventually bought a Truck which I said I would never do. Truck cost me $1k as the move crippled me financially and I needed a cheap run around. $13k later I have a mostly restored it which I said I'd never do, done everything I think would help to make it a better truck and most of the things I've done haven't made a difference. Recently I have noticed a vibration that feels nothing like an out of balance wheel, its a very fast but not overwhelming vibration over 70Kph and feels like I am going over a rumble strip in the road at speed (Rumble strip is a British thing, that's why I mentioned I am British, designed to slow you down). I just wondered if anybody else had this issue or any ideas on this sudden new problem?
Check the motor mounts. That was my problem, after checking everything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts