GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 chevy 2500 6.0L an have tried everything to get 4x4 to work. Put a new actuator in it an that works. Encoder motor works on it. I can hear it change from 4 hi to lo to 2 wd. Front shaft spins when in 4 hi. I changed oil in transfer case an it smelt extreamly burnt. I have put it on a lift an out it in 4 hi an all 4 tires spun but I could stop the front ones by hand. Only thing I can think of now is the clutch is fried in the t case. Please help running out of ideas

·
Registered
451 Posts
Time to take your rig to a professional and have them look at it. You will waste a lot of personal time guessing and they can do it a lot faster.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
The front diff has an open carrier. If you stop one wheel the other wheel should spin twice as fast. It might also make a whirring noise when you stop one wheel and the other spins faster. The loudness depends on the wear in the diff. This is all perfectly normal.

It is not normal if you can stop both front wheels when in 4 wd. The fluid smelling burnt is an indication you may have burned clutches. There are lots of YouTube videos on replacing parts in the NP246.

Ted

Reactions: Zach Smith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time to take your rig to a professional and have them look at it. You will waste a lot of personal time guessing and they can do it a lot faster.
I went and bought a reman transfer case an put it in an now everything is working great. The clutch must of been gone in it

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Now search on the net for rebuilding your transfer case. Tear it down and rebuild it. You will learn a lot. In the end you will have a spare or you can sell it to recoup the money you spent to replace it.

Ted

Reactions: Zach Smith
1 - 5 of 5 Posts