GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after changing my calipers, hoses, pads, master cylinder, flush and bleed, I am still not happy with the spongy pedal, it's probably the ABS module. However in the mean time I thought I would adjust the vacuum booster push rod, but it turns out that it has a plastic cylinder instead of an adjustable push rod. Have I totally lost my mind or is my vehicle the only vehicle in this age group without an adjustable push rod. I got all excited that I may be able to raise the pedal a little bit, even got a push rod adjuster tool, next thing you know it's another kick in the nuts. I guess this truck doesn't have an adjust?
Any help, as always will be very highly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
the pushrod on my 1998 Burb is a steel rod with no adjustment.

I can safely cycle my abs in my long laneway. have you tried that? once the abs cycles you will need to re bleed the entire brake system.

did your replace you MC with the same part or a random one? there are brake RPO CODES and all the codes have different brakes with different MC'S with matching wheel cylinders.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thank you so much for responding. I bought an ABS bleeder but tried your method of cycling the ABS before hand and bled it all afterward. I did replace the master cylinder with an identical AC Delco model. I've done literally everything except the ABS. Maybe it's as good as it gets on a 2000 Silverado.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,424 Posts
The 2000 is definitely not as stiff in the pedal as even a 2004. The swap over to the Hydroboost brakes made the pedal super stiff. About threw me through the window first time I drove a newer model...

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
brake pedal is weak pedal drops lower to stop the truck ..you have air in the brake fluid or the master cylinder has a wear issue..... booster creates a hard high pedal ...booster has no vacuum or the booster has a vacuum leak .

I keep the brake pedal down when I change the brake lines/calipers .. does not get air in the brake lines/master cylinder.. when I do the brake work I pull out the ABS fuse ...ABS module does not open the solenoids ,, brake fluid when the changing of the components.............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts