GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals my 2000 Silverado is acting up. With the key on eng off vent valve passes the leak test. But with eng. running leak test fails. I have put smoke machine on the evap system and can't understand. What am I missing? oh I also replaced the valve

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, I take it you did not notice any wisps of smoke around the gas cap? What code or codes are being set?

Have you checked the purge valve solenoid?

When you replaced the vent valve, did you also relocate the inlet air filter?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I take it you did not notice any wisps of smoke around the gas cap? What code or codes are being set?

Have you checked the purge valve solenoid?

When you replaced the vent valve, did you also relocate the inlet air filter?
I did check the solenoid and replaced it. As for the code it is po449 I'm wondering if I put my smoke mach. at a different location maybe uder the truck some where.
Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did check the solenoid and replaced it. As for the code it is po449 I'm wondering if I put my smoke mach. at a different location maybe uder the truck some where.
Thanks for your response.
Also the canister is separate from the solenoid I did not know there is so many lines under there

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is also the vent solenoid which is located by the canister back by the fuel tank and a fresh air inlet for the vent solenoid that needs to be repositioned to a spot on top of the transmission per a GM TSB.

When you introduced smoke into your EVAP system, did you use the green capped port?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is also the vent solenoid which is located by the canister back by the fuel tank and a fresh air inlet for the vent solenoid that needs to be repositioned to a spot on top of the transmission per a GM TSB.

When you introduced smoke into your EVAP system, did you use the green capped port?

I have put the smoke machine on the system .But I find no smoke escaping. However I did notice that if I put the smoke machine on the opposite end of line next to the solenoid I put smoke back towards the canister and it seems to be blocked is this normal?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have put the smoke machine on the system .But I find no smoke escaping. However I did notice that if I put the smoke machine on the opposite end of line next to the solenoid I put smoke back towards the canister and it seems to be blocked is this normal?
I guess i'm confused because when I put the smoke on with the key off I find no leaks and it passes the leak test. But with the engine on it will not pass the leak test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe that when the key is on & engine is off, the canister vent valve is shut off as it has not been commanded by the PCM to open. When the key is off & engine is off, the canister vent valve is likely open, so this is likely normal.

Some may frown upon what I am going to suggest, but my suggestion is to go to Chevy Truck Forum | Silverado Sierra GMC Truck Forums, register and ask the question there. Many professional technicians and semi-pros there that can likely assist you better than I can.

Good luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that when the key is on & engine is off, the canister vent valve is shut off as it has not been commanded by the PCM to open. When the key is off & engine is off, the canister vent valve is likely open, so this is likely normal.

Some may frown upon what I am going to suggest, but my suggestion is to go to Chevy Truck Forum | Silverado Sierra GMC Truck Forums, register and ask the question there. Many professional technicians and semi-pros there that can likely assist you better than I can.

Good luck!
Thanks bud

1 - 9 of 9 Posts