GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Silverado gave me my first stranded moment today since buying it used in 2018. I drove 35 miles for a doctor's appointment with no problems. Come out and try to start it and it would run rough for a few seconds then die. There's been other times every so often it would do this once but then run fine, but this time it wouldn't stay running. The fuel gauge sensor is on the fritz so I rely on the trip counter to determine how much I have (I restart it every time I fill the tank), and I'm sure it didn't run out of fuel (why would it wait until I was parked?). The fuel pump kicks on when I turn the key, and the last time the battery was disconnected was over a year ago. Could it be the fuel filter (already have a new one ready)?

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
you have to put a fuel pressure gauge on it .. key on eng off pressure will rise to 60-62psi .. pressure will stay up for 15 min... if the pressure drops then a problem fuel pressure reg/injector dirty/fuel pump check valve ..
if the pressure is not at 60-62 psi then fuel pump or fuel filter ...engine on should be normal 57psi.. if its below 52psi then a pump problem..electrical conections at the fuel pump connector at the top of the fuel tank ..
the OEM 2000 fuel pump has alcohol sender issue .. pickup sensor creates a bad signal .... keep the fuel above 1/3 tank..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have a pressure gauge, would have to get one (it's a 5.3 V8 btw). The only thing I could handle myself would be replacing the fuel filter or pressure regulator.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
1,191 Posts
I would go ahead and get the gauge. First thought I had was fuel pump. I agree with j cat's analysis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had someone come over and test it. Barely hitting 5 PSI including after he switched out regulators.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Had someone come over and test it. Barely hitting 5 PSI including after he switched out regulators.
FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR REDUCES FUEL PRESSURE 7PSI AT IDLE ..
The vac hose is on the reg.. when the engine is off key on the pressure will rise to 60-62psi.. then when the engine runs it has vac on the reg then the fuel pressure drops to 57 psi.. if the fuel pressure is below 52psi then fuel pump circuit or pump failure.. fuel filter will reduce pressure when the engine runs... slow flow ..because your not reading the fuel tank gas amount then the fuel pump when gas is low the pump will over heat and reduce pressure ... motor heats up some get the motor fingers over heated then damages the current flow to the DC motor.
only one fuel reg on driver side ... fuel pressure port on pass side to connect to the fuel rail..regulator will drop fuel pressure only a few psi...

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
change the fuel filter and keep the gas above 1/3 ....I have my 20 year old fuel pump 2000 silverado keep the fuel above 1/2 to just below the full mark..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts